+ Follow This Topic

Thread: She said I took too long, can I get her back?

She said I took too long, can I get her back?

I would post this in break-ups, but technically we weren't really together.
    Around 2 months ago a met a beautiful girl (think Emma Watson but prettier yet) at a party, we both liked each other from the moment we made eye contact but didn't speak that much because her English isn't great, so her friend (who I was already friends with) arranged for us to see each other a few weeks later at Halloween. So eventually Halloween came and we didn't even talk to each other, mainly because 90% of the people there were foreign and she was surrounded by them the entire time, so I felt completely out of place.

Her friend, realising this, said that she would organise a movie night between us. The next day I added this girl on Facebook, asked her out for a coffee and she replied saying she'd love to but she's busy and that we can see each other at the movie night, which was fine by me. So eventually we begin talking more and more on FB, conversations lasting for hours almost every day. Eventually the movie night arrives, we go to the movies with 2 of my friends and the girl I like who was with the friend who organised it. It's really awkward because, although I'm sitting next to her, we're both too shy to make any moves, so AGAIN, nothing happens. The following day I tell her on FB that I wanted to talk to her more at the movies, she basically said, "haha yeah I wanted you to badly [sic]", to which I replied, "Can we see a movie next week, just the two of us?". She said she'd love to and she would much prefer just us.

Here's where everything goes wrong.. again. We continue talking a lot on FB until we see each other, I arrive early, buy our tickets and we walk into the theatre; we're sat next to each other, talk for a bit and, eventually (halfway through the movie) I put my arm around here, she moves close to me and I rub her arm slightly. My mistake? I didn't kiss her. When the movie ended we walked slowly around for a bit, talking and enjoying the conversation. I found it refreshing because we hadn't talked much in person at all before that night (and we had known each other for 1.5 months), we got to her door and I gave her a hug and told her that I enjoyed it etc. We spoke on FB later on and she told me that I impressed her because she knows I'm shy, we continue talking and she tells me that I'm cute. The next time we speak is on FB again a few days later, I can immediately tell something is different by the 'tone' of the conversation; it seems more forced etc. We talk a couple more times and, around 9 days after the movie, I ask her how she feels, she says her feelings have changed and that she has basically lost interest, mainly because I didn't do anything meaningful (the kiss, or lack of). The thing is, I've only been in 1 relationship previously (I'm 24, she's 20) and I'm lacking experience.. also, she seemed to expect me to initiate EVERYTHING, even if I'm unsure of her feelings. So, the day before I go home for Christmas break, I leave a box of chocolates in her mail box with a note saying sorry (she's gone to her native country until 2nd Jan).

I spoke to the friend who introduced us asking if she thinks it's possible to start over; she said that if we both cool it off over the break and speak to each other in the New Year, maybe it's possible to start again.. the friend also said she'd really like to see that happen, as she believes we'd make a good couple. I'm aware of my mistakes and.. the regret caused by those mistakes is almost unbearably painful, as, if I had had more confidence, things could be so different. She's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, not to mention the sweetest, so I'd love for it to work out. Do you guys think I have any chance? If so, how do I go about it?
    Oh, another mistake was lack of face-to-face contact time, we talked on FB so much that talking in person sometimes felt strained - actually feeling strained was most likely due to the language barrier, she's so quiet and has a fairly strong accent that sometimes it's difficult to even understand her.
    Last edited by Tanglewood0; 18-12-13 at 12:30 PM.

Oh god! The flowers idea is awful!! That's about the silliest idea Ive heard In awhile in fAct

Why would you wait 9 days after your first date ?? You just talk on FB this whole time? Get in the battle man, there's a war going on !

Just be yourself and relax and go with the flow. Wait till have New Years and ask her out again. This time make an effort....who cares if you don't know where you 2 stand. She's just a person just like you

Another thing.....STOP the Facebook stuff unless she contacts you on there. Call her! You need to show confidence...I'm sorry but that's what this girl really needs in a man. Bottom line is that if you don't change that very soon she will get lost. Even if she does, you move on and work on it with the next girl

Yes....it's our job to initiate Good luck
    Last edited by surfhb2; 18-12-13 at 11:02 AM.

You messed it up. Talking to a girl on Facebook doesn't build attraction. Talking to a girl in real life does. Don't do movies; you can't talk to each other. Don't ask a girl how she feels...makes you look insecure. SHOW her how YOU feel, and if she likes you, she'll reciprocate.

You failed to make a move, so she lost interest, simple as that. The only thing to do is to learn from your mistakes and not make them again the future.

Thanks guys. Looking back on it, I should have been waaaay more proactive like you both suggested. It's pure inexperience.. because her friend told me that she's really shy and has the language barrier issues, I was sceptical about calling her, especially as she said, just after asking for her number, "Text me before you call" because she has problems speaking on the phone in a different language. So, I was about to call her regarding the movie, I text her and she messaged back telling me not to call and keep it to FB due to the 'phone insecurity'. Also, whenever I texted her, she'd message back on FB... naturally I wanted to keep talking to her if we weren't able to meet in person so I followed suit and stuck to FB. Oh well, come New Year I'll call her no matter what, nothing to lose at this point.

I did message her 2 days after the date, it was 9 days after the date when she told me that she felt like it was going too slowly, understandably enough.

I say capitalize on the moment while you still have a chance. Flowers might be a bit much, but showing her that you do think she is beautiful and that you would make a good couple can't hurt anything. Put in a bit of extra effort, take her out for supper, somewhere you can talk quietly and enjoy a good meal and the company of one another.

Most girls that I have known enjoy when you go the extra mile. Just be up front with your feelings, without going overboard.

Yeah.....I'd call her too and ask her on another date ASAP. I assume after the break