+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How long are you considered a kid?

How long are you considered a kid?

I'm really curious about peoples opinions on this. How long after you turn 18 are you still considered a kid? Theres celebs like Sarah Hyland and others that are well into their 20s that are still called kids. Is there a certin age?

Depends on the the age of the person calling someone a kid. A friend of mine told me a story about his father calling some guy that worked for him a kid, the "kid" was 63 and my friends father was 82... It's all about perspective I guess.

To me, being an adult is about how you behave. I know some 23yos who are mature and independent and I'd never dream of calling them a kid. While others are still dependent on parents and making stupid decisions....and in my eyes they are still kids.

In short, I think you're an adult when you start standing on your own two feet, paying your way and making sensible decisions in your life.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I call everyone I know a bunch of kids only because their behavior shows me that that is all they are and nothing more. Some of these folk are in their mid twenties so....

Most people pretty much just call everyone younger than them a kid and everyone within their age group or older are adults.

I'm with basil on this one tho, it's not about the arbitrary number attached to your name, it's about your actions and behavior. If there's one thing I see a lot of people failing to do with age it's actually growing up. Some of the most immature people I've met have been in their 30's, 40's, 50's, and even older. If you've ever worked in customer service you will see a LOT of this.

On the flip side, I've had some pretty enlightening conversations with high schoolers before. They may be arbitrarily held into a dumbed down state of subservience to the authority of their elders for longer than necessary but otherwise they essentially function as adults in more ways than a lot of older people I know.
    They see indoctrination and they call it "morality", "professionalism", or "maturity" depending on the context.

To your elders, you will always be a "kid".
    Legally speaking - 18 is adult and 21 is true adult since you can buy booze.

Socially in general, I have noticed when you hit 30, people don't mess with you AS much and as you get close to 40, the world finally respects that you ARE an adult. Although, I am 40 and I have a 61 year old friend who still likes to give me advice like I am 10 years old.

Why is this? Well at 40, you are older than about 1/2 the population so less people trying to dictate. Besides that, by 40 you are more "set in your ways" and not as willing to be pushed around.

My brother and sister are in their 50's. And me, at 40, I am still their "little sister". Little sister with hair turning gray....
    Always remember that YOU are the most important person in your world.

For me to consider someone an adult, it depends on their maturity level. Someone could be 50 years old and act like a 5 year old... I call that a big kid. But someone could be 14 and just trying to get through their teenage years and have the maturity of a 30 year old... That I'd call a young adult.

Biologically, it's when "teen" is added to your age, like thirteen. But it all boils down to your level of maturity and how you handle things. That's what counts.

It still fascinates me though that my grandparents still refer to me as a kid though I'm practically all grown up, well I guess that's just the way it is.
    A life lived in fear is a life half lived-Spanish Proverb

Rio is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    I've been considered a kid until my 18, when i went out of home.

Age is just a number to me, but if someone only heard your age and didn't know how actually mature you are or not, they'd assume that you are a kid. It's all in the way you act, I guess.