+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should moderators be elected?

Should moderators be elected?

I feel that would be a more fair system than the current one.

Erm...no? Why do you feel it's unfair?

Well as an American I feel democracy is the best system for determining leadership and power over others. Moderators have a lot of power all over the internet yet ive never seen one elected by popular vote. It's always passed down like some kind of dictatorship.

Usually there's no problem like on this site, where moderators are even minded and balanced. However they are still above the common poster rather than of them. Power corrupting is a constant of human social dynamics through out history.

I feel the trend of power trips can be curbed with a strong push towards democratic principles. This forum can be the start of something great across the world wide web.

I think you've had a little too much of the commie fear brew leftover from the 50's...

It's an internet website meant for helping people in their day to day lives and for fun... It's not attached to any government decision making. So, really, what harm is there here? None.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post
    I feel that would be a more fair system than the current one.
    I love that a newbie with 11 posts wants more control of the site.

Well as an American I feel democracy is the best system for determining leadership and power over others. Moderators have a lot of power all over the internet yet ive never seen one elected by popular vote. It's always passed down like some kind of dictatorship.

Usually there's no problem like on this site, where moderators are even minded and balanced. However they are still above the common poster rather than of them. Power corrupting is a constant of human social dynamics through out history.

I feel the trend of power trips can be curbed with a strong push towards democratic principles. This forum can be the start of something great across the world wide web.
    You're missing a very important point here:

This forum while public, isn't public property - it's individually owned. The one that owns it appoints the moderators. End of.

There is no reason we cannot follow the example set by the founding fathers in all that we do. Fact is the democratic process of power is the best we humans have devised. I'd like to see it implemented in more places.

Any individual owner can see the wisdom of what i'm saying.

Are you for really asking this? This isn't a government institution, it is a private one. Do you expect your privately owned place of work to frame it so you get to vote for your own boss as well. O.o
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Most moderators on forum sites such as this one, don't really dictate anything. They are more appointed to help out the owner of the site to keep things running smoothly, no spammers or people breaking the rules of the site etc.. Sure some sites, the moderators may be more aggresive, but that is where you can do a search for another like site & hope things will be different there moderator wise.

Nobody forces you to be on a particular site if you don't like moderators, etc., it is your choice to remain if you do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Are you for really asking this? This isn't a government institution, it is a private one. Do you expect your privately owned place of work to frame it so you get to vote for your own boss as well. O.o

Definitely. Bottom up decision making is more profitable in the long run. The guys at the bottom know more about how a specific store or office is doing extremely better than a guy on top.

I love that idea of voting for who tells you what to do, it would keep thing more in line and increase productivity. Workers would feel they mattered to a company when its them deciding the leadership. You'd also see a cut in corporate corruption when your boss can get impeached.

They talk about office politics and its who you know, with a democracy its how well you benefit the workers under you. Screw them and you lose your position. Sounds like justice to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaK View Post
    Most moderators on forum sites such as this one, don't really dictate anything. They are more appointed to help out the owner of the site to keep things running smoothly, no spammers or people breaking the rules of the site etc.. Sure some sites, the moderators may be more aggresive, but that is where you can do a search for another like site & hope things will be different there moderator wise.

Nobody forces you to be on a particular site if you don't like moderators, etc., it is your choice to remain if you do so.

All im saying is that being appointed to a position is inferior to being elected to one. if the posters decided who moderated them the site would run smoother. its just more fair.

All im saying is that being appointed to a position is inferior to being elected to one. if the posters decided who moderated them the site would run smoother. its just more fair.
    ... and all we're saying is that we don't agree.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Whats your reasoning on disagreeing with freedom wakeup?

I already told you in my first response. This has nothing to do with 'freedom' we are all free to choose to stay here in this forum or leave if we don't like the way it's run. Just like we are free to quit a privately run company if we don't like who has been appointed the supervisor.

We are also free to suggest improvements to the system and use our brains for more than following dogmatic ideals. What I suggest is a new way, a better way of choosing moderators, bosses, any leadership position imaginable.

Ya, I have the freedom to do anything and go anywhere, that's true. I don't have the freedom to choose who moderates me however, that's up to the site owners in the paradigm we live in.

What I suggest is that we follow the example of the founding fathers of the united states of america and make sure freedom of speech and democracy don't die.

The same can be said for any private company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast