+ Follow This Topic

Thread: being on your phone with your significant other

being on your phone with your significant other

when you are with your significant other and you are not on a date, how do you handle the cell phone? im just curious. yesterday i hung out with my girlfriend just to chill and i was texting my two buddies alot. we were discussing an upcoming day we were all getting together. i felt sort of bad but i don't know how she saw it

do you think it was rude? we see each other a lot. 5-7 days a week, so it snot like its the only time i saw her in a two week period or something

It's rude. I find people who can't put a cel phone down are rude. IMO it can wait til later. It's no differnt than someone sitting yackin on their phone so everyone can hear their conversation about nothing. Put yourself in their shoes....is this the way you want someone to do while they are hanging out with you? Obviously not because you felt "sort of" bad about it.

When I go out to the pub with the old man my phone is off and in my purse. He has his cel on the table but won't sit on his phone texting unless it's work related (he's on call 24-7). If he sat there texting away to his buddies, he will get a stink eye for sure.

Even though you see each other quite often it is rude. Is she is not on her phone all time when your together then you shouldnt either. Its very rude this happened with me and my now ex he couldnt put the phone down made me feel ignored when we were together and I felt like I was just there.

Actually, let me ask for some clarification here. So, what exactly were you and her doing? Where were you? Was it all day you were texting with them? Was it constantly (as in sustained, back and forth, for a long period of time)?

The reason I ask is this....

If you and her were out doing something, then yes, it was rude and you should make an effort not to do that going forward. One or two texts are fine, but then let the person wait until later.

Now, if you and her were just sitting at home relaxing, that is different.... Unless it is something you do all the time. That was one of the selfish things my ex did all the time. It would not matter if we were on a vacation, out to dinner, or even just relaxing at home. She would be texting, or talking to people online, or Skype, or things like that CONSTANTLY. At times it was all day every day. Honestly, it got to the point where I liked it, because I couldn't STAND her, and it meant she was buzz off and leave me alone. It was realizations like that that made me finally see that I deserved better.

Anyway, going off on a bit of a tangent there. It is okay to text/call/whatever with friends sometimes. Heck, it is even okay to do it all day... on occasion. But, if you two are out together, it is not okay. It is also not okay to do all the time. So, my answer would actually sort of depend more upon those further details.

I can see it if you are watching tv and live together but if you are visiting, that IS very rude to your host and vise versa. Texting is a new addiction, and I think it needs to be addressed. My biggest pet peeve is when I'm behind someone stopped at a light, the light goes green and they are still sitting because they are f ucking texting. I just lean on the horn through the light at them to make a point...idiots.

Even if you live together, I would still say it shouldn't be something you do all the time, constantly, every day, etc. Once in a while is no big deal. Heck, even if it is every day, but just for a bit, that is fine. But, if you live with your significant other, shouldn't you be spending time with him/her, not ignoring him/her to talk to friends all day? Again, if you live together it isn't like you have to spend every waking moment together, but why live together if you are just going to act like the other person doesn't exist? If that were the case, you might as well just not live together. Then you can text each other all day and actually spend time together, albeit via text message. LOL!

It would really annoy me if I met a friend for an hour for coffee and they were texting every 5minutes. But I see my bf every day so it doesnt bother me if he spends an hour talking on the phone to a friend or family.. he doesnt text so its never been an issue. I text my friends occasionally and he doesnt mind.

It irritates me though when hes playing a game on his phone for ages and I can barely get two words out of him.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Exactly, Michelle. I think you actually summed up what I was saying very nicely. If you see your significant other every day, then why is it such a big deal if they are talking on the phone and/or texting here and there? Or few a few hours? Or, heck, even all day as long as it is only once in a while?

But, if it becomes a thing where they are always constantly on the phone and might as well be a zombie for all the interaction you get from them, then it becomes a problem.