+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Obsessive? How to let things go?

Obsessive? How to let things go?

Whenever I like someone I tend to overthink every possible aspect of the person and the relationship. All I do is think and worry about them and the situation. I overcheck FB and various other social media. Lately I've been trying to try to get over someone I never even dated, but all I can seem to do is re-live the situation, overthink it, ask other's opinions-- literally all my friends, and then going on forums to ask other people's opinions on it.

All I do is think about him. This must be nuts right? I've hidden and unfollowed him on FB (But not unfriended/blocked), deleted the instagram app on my phone, but somehow I find loopholes like checking insta on the web instead, or unhiding him and seeing if he's online...

I want to move on,, and I know how to do this, I've gone through the moving on process before but for some reason I just don't WANT to-- I have the choice to move on it's just I don't take it. I'd RATHER sitting on my ass moping about it all day than getting a hobby/whatever the heck. Even when I'm at uni/work/with friends it's all I could think about and sometimes it brings me down and makes me sad. On the weekends, I thought drinking and hanging out with friends would help take my mind off it, but it only makes it worse, I just become super hyper emotional and its just 20 times worse.

I guess it's because I didn't have closure with the guy, and we are still friends and talk etc, but I just wanna let it go. I'm starting to think I'm obsessive over with this guy and the whole situation. I already know how to get over someone;; no contact, get busy, live your life, move on. I've tried and failed. Am i just really obsessive or is this normal? Help guys.

>> If interested, the whole situation with the person can be found in the Ask A Male Section under "What happens after casual sex with a guy?" //i'm sorry I can't post links yet, I am a new user.

>> Also, Not sure if posted in the right forum, was going to put it in the breakup section but there was no breaking up involved.

So you have scoured the websites,and ask friends advise, which tells me they are not tell you what you want to hear. Listen, no one can help you, only you can. You are the one that has to make the effort, which so far you haven't done very much. Stop talking to the guy, stop talking about the guy, delete everything and I mean everything, photos, links to social media, deactivate your own FB ( don't worry it saves everything when you reactivate it) and fall off the radar. Keeping busy is key but not going to bars and drinking. Be more constructive with your time like going to the gym, go swimming, go on hikes, small trips with the GFs out of town, so there is nothing to remind you of him. Your expectations to shake him off is rather high....it does take time but you can't give up. You need to put in 110% effort. Stop your whining and put your big girl panties on and just move on.

Ok I think everyone gets a bit obsessive at times. It is just in our nature. Its very hard but you have to actually shout at your own voice in your head. I know I'll be at the movies enjoying myself and thinking about the one I love will just creep in. Its hard need to forceably say no I will not think about this and just start count back from 100. It wont happen over night and it definitly will take a long while. But hang in I can appreciate it. Its just your OCD that makes you over think everything. Can't get totally over it but you can help limit it. It is a daily challenge