+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Unwanted Pregnancy

Unwanted Pregnancy

Hi guys! My bestfriend has a really big problem.

She is pregnant and she wants to abort her baby because the father would not support her. Now she's asking for my help in discontinuing her pregnancy. Where we are from, abortion is illegal. Even though this is the case, I am still torn about helping her or not. I know it's her decision but a big part of me thinks that it's wrong to kill a baby.

Am I being stupid for not being pro-choice? I just don't feel very good about helping her end her pregnancy.

PS: She is also having these crazy ideas about using this instance in blackmailing the father to loving her even if she doesn't love him! Just for revenge. I'm getting kind of scared of her. She wasn't this crazy before the pregnancy. WHAT do I do with my friend?

OK first off where is she planning on going to have this abortion if it is illegal? If she has to travel to another country, go there with her and locate a family planning or women's clinic that offers counseling for women that are in her position to go over her options like adoption. Leave it up to the professionals to help her with her decision. As for you, just be supportive the best way you can. I know it's difficult, you don't want to judge her, but it is her life not yours. I have had to keep my mouth shut when my friend was a serial cheater. She knew how I felt but I didn't lecture her or got involved. Sometime you just have to be a friend, and just be there for them.

As for your friend, she is crazy because she is hurt, scared and confused. This is where counseling would benefit her greatly. I hope you do have family planning clinics that offer counseling.

Better stick with your principles. If you cant support her choice you still can be her friend in this hard time.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    OK first off where is she planning on going to have this abortion if it is illegal? If she has to travel to another country, go there with her and locate a family planning or women's clinic that offers counseling for women that are in her position to go over her options like adoption. Leave it up to the professionals to help her with her decision. As for you, just be supportive the best way you can. I know it's difficult, you don't want to judge her, but it is her life not yours. I have had to keep my mouth shut when my friend was a serial cheater. She knew how I felt but I didn't lecture her or got involved. Sometime you just have to be a friend, and just be there for them.

As for your friend, she is crazy because she is hurt, scared and confused. This is where counseling would benefit her greatly. I hope you do have family planning clinics that offer counseling.
    Exactly this!

In my view, she won't be 'killing a baby' - she will be terminating an unwanted pregnancy. An embryo, scientifically speaking, is not a 'baby' in the way that word is usually understood.

Will she be able to financially support herself/her child at this point in time? Is she emotionally ready for this huge responsibility? Will she cope as a single parent? Does she have any support networks in place? If not, then she's right to seek an abortion...and hopefully she plans on going to a clinic where this can be done safely.

As her friend, I would simply support her decision, whatever it is. It's not your life, it's hers.

Thank you guys for all your response. You're right. It's her life and not mine that will be affected if she does decide to keep or abort the baby. It's not my decision to make. I'm just trying to be a friend for her and now we're doing our best to seek options on how to end her pregnancy.