+ Follow This Topic

Thread: "I don't need a boyfriend; I have my Dad!"- Nightline Prime

"I don't need a boyfriend; I have my Dad!"- Nightline Prime

Okay, so I was watching a special edition of Nightline Prime with my brother, and this was the top story of it:

This isn't the exact special, but it gives you the basic idea. The quote in the title is from one of the interviews used in the special itself (really wish this video would have included that interview because it creeped me the hell out).

Anyway...what do all of you think about this? Is it a good idea for families to be doing this, and why or why not?

Honestly, I find it to be limiting beliefs and setting women back in their empowerment... Don't get me wrong; I'm all for people living their lives as they wish to if they want to wait to have sex with that special someone. However, my view on this is that it's also a dangerous thing for children to get involved in because they wouldn't be able to grow from the "bad relationships" (like we see people coming here about) and possibly even being target for rape...as well as possible inbreeding like the Amish..

One thing that I'd like to note, though, is that this does NOT SPECIFICALLY apply to just the women. They do the same for their young males, as well.

So...any thoughts?

only in America....

- - - Updated - - -

Giving it a bit more thought, I think these are a whole lot of unmarried mothers waiting to happen. They are far too young to understand the bigger picture of what they are agreeing to.

In time, many of these girls are likely to get boyfriends and start thinking about sex. Instead of having parents who will guide their daughters through this minefield of safe choices, contraception, consent and relationship negotiation - these girls have parents who will offer no support at all if she chooses a direction which they don't agree with. To the point where she will probably feel that she can't even go to them for support.

My own approach couldn't be more different. My 14yo daughter now has her first boyfriend. All they do at this stage is kiss, but our conversations are open and honest. I help guide and support without judgement and in turn, she offers up a surprising amount of information. I'm the type of parent who is likely to allow sleepovers with a long term boyfriend (not casual sex) when she's older than 16* because I'd rather she be doing it in the safety of home than out in a car in the dark somewhere.

*16 is age of consent here.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Meh. Repressed religious nuts using morality as a transparent veil for boning their daughters, what else is new?
    They see indoctrination and they call it "morality", "professionalism", or "maturity" depending on the context.

Basil, I think that's a very smart way to handle the situation with your daughter. Honestly, that's a method that I can agree with because you're not denying her the education she's going to need for the real world. Not to mention, if the boyfriend were trying to take unwanted advantage of her (not assuming he would but hypothetically), she would at least be in a place where her parents could come to her aid- not like if it happened in a car somewhere.

And, your reasoning I agree with. In the interviews with a few of the fathers involved in this, they said that if they were to "fall off the path" so to speak, there is "always a chance for redemption." Now, perhaps it's just my cynical side, but I don't really see that happening in a situation like this... I see it more as a high risk of them being shunned. Not to mention, if they're looking for "Prince Charming" how will they know who is actually legitimate when they find him? Yes, the parents have a strong say, but some parents can be fooled too... (not all, but some). The one bride interviewed for the special had disclosed she met her husband in August and married him the December of that same year, making her marriage kiss the first kiss of all. Somehow, I don't think that marriage is going to work...

Quite frankly, I don't see these children having any friends outside their own purity group either...

EDIT: Did you watch the video, dickriculous? Haha They're not actually boning them, but I could see some fathers going there..

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    EDIT: Did you watch the video, dickriculous? Haha They're not actually boning them
    Only reason to ever put a chick through all that fuckery is to trick her into your pants so yeah I have to call bullshit on that one.
    They see indoctrination and they call it "morality", "professionalism", or "maturity" depending on the context.

Quote Originally Posted by dickriculous View Post
    Only reason to ever put a chick through all that fuckery is to trick her into your pants so yeah I have to call bullshit on that one.
    I can see the logic behind that. Honestly, I could never do this if I were a parent..
    EDIT: Even if it is just what they claim it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    I can see the logic behind that. Honestly, I could never do this if I were a parent..
    You could never **** your children? Good to know...I was actually kind of hoping you drew the line a few inches before that but it's ok, we're still cool.

Edit: Just saw your edit lol...I'm just ****ing around anyway, no idea what's going on here. Probably at least some incest though. I mean, think about it, massive amounts of exactly that is what these people think our origins are.

Why would a parent want to become ''the boyfriend" or "the girlfriend" of their son/daugther? It's not natural and no absurd ceremony in the name of preserving some sacred virginity will make it look more than it is, some twisted religious leaders exercising their sick influence on some weak unprepared parents who put their children in a ridiculous situation. 12 years old children can only become very confused having to accept those ideas which only succeed to make them feel less children then they are, ready for some kind of symbolic relationship and suddenly focusing on the interaction with the opposite gender, which they shouldn't until they naturally grow up a few more years. It's sad that a group of religious fantatics are allowed to mess up their children's heads and the law should interfere and ban those shows.
    Last edited by Valixy; 24-03-14 at 11:35 PM.

That is odd and creepy. The moms are okay with that label "daughters boyfriend?" This must be for strictly religious families?

LMFAO Dickriculous, I love that post. And I'm not sure, but it would make sense if some families took it a bit too far. It's so wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by Valixy View Post
    Why would a parent want to become ''the boyfriend" or "the girlfriend" of their son/daugther?
    Excellent point. It's pretty much making them into property again while blurring the line of family ties.. And going along with what you said about it focusing too much on relations with the opposite gender at too much of an early time, isn't that, in a sense, making them unprepared for certain situations and conversations later in life? I'm not saying that sex is common talk everyday (because who really mentions it 24/7 to their friends?) but it will come up sooner or later around them. And what do they do then? They won't be properly educated enough about the risks and all to understand the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by somehelp4me View Post
    That is odd and creepy. The moms are okay with that label "daughters boyfriend?" This must be for strictly religious families?
    And somehelp4me, apparently they are okay with it. I'm not sure what religion exactly they are, but yes they're all under the same religion. It really sounds like a cult to me..

So if dauther actually loses virginity while married to her dad, Is like she cheated.

"My dauther cheated on me. Help !"
    Last edited by pcmaster; 26-03-14 at 08:16 AM.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Here's a hint, Rowen - stop watching "News Magazines"... they're ratings-driven sensationalism. As a matter of fact, what's deemed "news" in the U.S. is all ratings-driven these days, and not worth watching. If you want reliable and attention-worth news sources, I'd suggest you start online.

PC, I have no idea. haha But it's crazy.

And that's true, HIA. My brother had the remote, and it was kind of like once you start listening to it, it sucks you in. But it's still mind-boggling.