+ Follow This Topic

Thread: First travesti to win the Eurovision Music Contest :)

First travesti to win the Eurovision Music Contest :)

Conchita Wurst (Thomas Newirth), representing Austria, is the first travesti ever to win the annual Eurovision Music Contest, that took place tonight in Denmark, Copenhagen, and the second travesti to have ever participated in the show. She has an amazing voice and her victory must have meant a lot to many people who believe that gender preferences are strictly personal.

''Wurst's selection sparked controversy in Austria. Four days after ORF announced its decision, more than 31,000 people liked an "Anti-Wurst" Facebook page.[6] In October, the Ministry of Information in Belarus received a petition calling on BTRC, Belarus' state broadcaster, to edit Wurst's performance out of its Eurovision broadcast. The petition claimed that the performance would turn Eurovision "into a hotbed of sodomy."[7] In December, a similar petition surfaced in Russia.[8] In March 2014, Wurst's song was revealed as "Rise Like a Phoenix". At the second semi-final on 8 May, Wurst qualified for the final on 10 May. At the finals held in Copenhagen on 10 May 2014, she won the competition with 290 points. This was Austria's first Eurovision win since the Eurovision 1966''. (Wikipedia)

And a bit more on the general atmosphere in Europe: Ukraine was given the honour to open the final competiton and whenever Russia was mentioned during the show or received any points, people booed...

Winning song: Rise like a Phoenix

Last edited by Valixy; 11-05-14 at 03:15 PM.

Valixy, the Eurovision final won't air for another 12 hours here in Australia. You may want to edit the title and add *spoiler* to it.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Oh, noo...! I hope you'll enjoy the show anyway if you decide to watch it still!

I don't think we can edit thread titles, unfortunately...

Valixy, Eurovision is HUGE down here. I think for the same reasons we embraced ABBA back in the day....if it's kitch and daggy, we will find a place for it
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Had no idea that the show was so popular over there or that the final was aired 12 hours later, but it makes sense. I remember watching American Idol on British television a few years ago and an American student spoiling the final for me...:-) And Searock is right, I couldn't edit the thread title. Oh, well, c'est la vie...