+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How soon is too soon to ask a newly single guy out?

How soon is too soon to ask a newly single guy out?

My dream guy whom I've had my eyes on for about a year just recently ended things with his gf. He hasn't told me all the details but from what he has told me it seems they separated on mutual terms and he doesn't really seem to be too broken up about it. I was just wondering how long I should wait before I make my move? I want to be respectful of his relationship but I also don't want to wait too long. He's quite a catch and I'd hate to miss out on my opportunity.

Any ideas from you guys on what would be a good amount of time to wait, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance

Ask him out for drinks now - but don't phrase it as a date. Make your decision based on how well the evening goes. If he doesn't flirt with you at all, then it's either too early or he's not interested.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

if he just broke up like say this week i would go in knowing most people don't want to jump right back into it especially if the recent relationship was years involved. you won't know until you try buy just don't go in hoping for a certain outcome. i didn't want to date after breaking up for over a month if not more. gl
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Thank you both for your advice. I probably will ask him out for drinks and see what happens

Hell if he isn't all emotionally broken up about it, he's ripe for the picking.

I like you smackie9! I was thinking the same but was afraid I'd look like a thirsty ho lol

A thirsty ho is just what he might need! yo

Lmao true story!

You know the saying "Good things come to those who wait"? Well, it's a load of crap. I can't tell you how many times I missed out on many open opportunities. If you want something in life, just go for it. Don't wait. There is never a perfect time to act.

Logical advice from an old broad: Google "Rebound Relationships" before you make your move. The least you could do for yourself is be educated as to what COULD happen when being the first one with him after a breakup so that you'd don't become too vulnerable too quickly.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

As wakeup said you do run the risk of being a rebound or that he will change his mind and want her back in a month. You could end up being used even if it is unintentional..

How long was he with her? Was it REALLY a mutual breakup abd when did they break up??
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Thanks valen & wakeup. You both made really good points.

Michelle23- they were together 6 months and split about 4 weeks ago. Lots of ups and downs apparently but he decided to end things because they just weren't happy together. Idk if it was really mutual but I did see her out last night at a bar all over another guy so I don't think she's feeling very heartbroken either

I think you should do a hybrid of Basil and Wakeup's advice... Ask him out to drinks, and if things seem to progress towards a relationship, make it clear you don't want to be a rebound to him.. Have a serious talk about it with him in that situation...

you been liking him for a year now, this mite be your chance and if he is really a catch trust me he wont be single to long lady so time waits on nobody ask now!
    No More Worries

Thank you rowen and stay 2gether. I'm going to see him tmrw so I'm going to ask him out for drinks as suggested and see what happens. Wish me luck guys!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast