+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First date idea - Let me know if this seems good

First date idea - Let me know if this seems good

So, I have been giving the whole online dating thing a try. I am VERY much NOT surprised that it seems to be just as much horse crap as it was when I was younger. Still a bunch of losers who don't take it seriously, so nobody ever actually even bothers to message you back. (Not that I'm cocky and think everybody I reach out to should respond, but when nobody does I can't help but wonder why the Hell you bother to be on the site if you aren't even going to give somebody a chance when they message you.)

Even so, I have actually had two responses. One turned out either to be a crazy person, or just somebody trying to take advantage of lonely people. Funny story, actually, that I'll share if anybody is interested.

The other seems like a cool girl. We've been getting along. I'm not sure if she thinks of me as a potential date or just a friend, and for that matter am not quite sure how I feel about her in that regard. But, taking the advice folks have given me here, I decided I shouldn't drag things along too long, and should just go for it. I guess, what better way to find out if we hit it off as possible romantic partners, or just as friends, than to ask her out on a date.

We've done all the getting to know you type questions. Then, with some advice from my best friend, I realized I needed to ask her some more directed questions keeping in mind that I want to use it to think of good ideas for dates. In doing that, I think I may have come up with a good idea for a date.

There is a town near me that has a lot of fun shops and stuff. You can spend a day walking around checking out all the unique shops. They also have a playhouse. So, my thought was of inviting her to check the place out (she likes it and has been there, but not in a long time) and also see a play.

I'm just not sure if that is a good idea for a FIRST date. Is that too much activity for a first date? I know sometimes it is best for the first date to have a more intimate setting so you can get to know each other better, but I figured it isn't like we can't talk while we walk around. Not to mention, if the day goes well, we could grab lunch or dinner in town.

Let me know your thoughts, or if you can offer any other good ideas for first dates, second dates, or dates in general. Thanks.

Depends. My ideal first date is cocktails and appies at a nice bar.

Why don't you find out what her interests are and plan your date according to the activities she likes to do. My first date with my BF who I met on EH was on a nice restaurant with an outside bar and large dancing area. In my profile, I wrote that I love to dance, so he carefully selected a restaurant that is cozy enough on the inside to have a quiet dinner and conversation and a nice bar with lots of lights on the outside with gigantic space for dancing with a live band... We ended up having a blast dining, wining, and dancing. He asked for a second date which we set the following day.

There's no reason to spend more then $20 on a first meeting. If the date goes well, you take her to dinner next time. Just go for ice cream or something

First impressions are everything. How a guy carries himself, and what we do on our first date, i pay attn to. Dinner and a nice walk in the park

Couldn't you cut the activities in half and just do the play and get coffee and dessert after? I wouldn't spend that much for a first date either, like surf said.

Really?

Call me high maintenance but I'm not used to anything other then what I described.

Wouldnt go for anything more than a coffee.

lalalita Guest
    First dates, IMO, should be pretty basic. Grabbing coffee and browsing a bookstore. Keeping it very non committal and some what short in duration.

I think you should invite her for a coffee in the shopping area you mentioned and see how it goes from there. If you're both comfortable, you could have a walk, explore the shops or see a play together, whatever you both feel like doing. You might want to arrange a second date for more activities and there wouldn't be anything wrong with that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Valixy View Post
    You might want to arrange a second date for more activities and there wouldn't be anything wrong with that :-)
    Yeah, this is a bad idea. You dont want to show her you are over enthusiastic or needy. Big turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLoyal View Post
    Yeah, this is a bad idea. You dont want to show her you are over enthusiastic or needy. Big turn off.
    Not if the girl is interested and he will have a better sense of it after the first date.

Quote Originally Posted by chinagirl View Post
    Not if the girl is interested and he will have a better sense of it after the first date.
    Dude, first tip of dating. Never ask a girl for advice. They have no idea what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLoyal View Post
    Dude, first tip of dating. Never ask a girl for advice. They have no idea what they want.
    Dude, this is like, terrible advice. Most women do know what they want and they will communicate just as well as any other healthy mature person.

For a first date, I do suggest something more intimate. Cocktails and appies sounds good. The focus should be on you two, not on the play or shops.
    Last edited by searock; 30-05-14 at 07:16 PM.

You're a guy what do you know. He's going out with a girl, not a guy.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast