+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How should a relationship be at the 2 year mark? Can I bring up marriage

How should a relationship be at the 2 year mark? Can I bring up marriage

Hiya!

I've honestly never been in a relationship this long and was just wondering how a 2 year relationship should be? How do you act towards each other, do you talk as much, do you see each other as much? Does your partner feel like your best friend? I'm just not sure. I love this guy and i can see myself marrying him one day. Is it okay to bring marriage up by now? How can I bring it up, if its okay to say? I mean we've never really talked about it before, I honestly think the last thing said remotely close to marriage was 6 months ago when he said "One day you can have my last name". he also calls me his last girlfriend ever, ever night before bed.

Thanks!

Do you need to be hit in the face with a cast-iron pan before you know that it's heavy, hard and cold?

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Do you need to be hit in the face with a cast-iron pan before you know that it's heavy, hard and cold?
    No.. I don't. I'd already know

He should feel like your best friend, sex life should be good, you Should enjoy each others company, be affectionate, have something in common that you both enjoy etc..

Im not sure about marriage though.. i think you should live together first for a year before getting married to make sure you dont drive each other insane. The first year is always the hardest
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

There is not necessarily a cookie-cutter answer to how your relationship should be, but this

Quote Originally Posted by Shortiedancer
    I honestly think the last thing said remotely close to marriage was 6 months ago when he said "One day you can have my last name". he also calls me his last girlfriend ever, ever night before bed.
    Tells me that marriage, or a lifelong commitment of some sort, is on his mind to some degree. If it's on yours too then someone should bring it up...the lines of communication need to be open here. You don't want to end up like a poster here from awhile back who dated a guy for like a decade without ever bringing marriage up but just assumed they would eventually get married anyway, finally decided to bring it up and found out that he didn't want to get married, and then lost her mind over it.

If you want him to tell you how he feels about getting married then next time he says something along the lines of "one day you can have my last name" you might ask "do you mean we are going to get married in the future?" Or when he calls you his last girlfriend ever you might ask what he means by that, does it mean we will be together for ever? If so does that mean we will be getting married someday?

Then when he answers you go from there.

Or hell, you could even just take the direct approach if you really want to. But seriously, anything is better than how that one chick I mentioned and her bf played this situation...I would even advise thoughtlessly blurting out of nowhere "ARE WE GOING TO GET MARRIED SOMEDAY?!" over that.
    Last edited by dickriculous; 14-06-14 at 05:45 AM.
    They see indoctrination and they call it "morality", "professionalism", or "maturity" depending on the context.

At the two year mark, I think you should know your partner well enough to be able to talk about what's on your mind. I'm seeing red flags in that you don't know him well enough to be confident about talking with him and that you don't know where the relationship is going.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dickriculous View Post
    .I would even advise thoughtlessly blurting out of nowhere "ARE WE GOING TO GET MARRIED SOMEDAY?!" over that.
    after 2 - 3 years together, I proposed to my partner with "so, do you reckon we should get married?" I don't remember his response, but it was probably something like, "oh, OK". In the end, we didn't bother and put the money into renovations instead...but it needn't be a difficult conversation.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.