+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Would you be annoyed if your boyfriend/girlfriend hangs out with their friends?

Would you be annoyed if your boyfriend/girlfriend hangs out with their friends?

Imagine this and tell me what you really think:

- You’re in a relationship with someone for 4 years. Work from Monday to Friday from 8am till 6pm.

-Your boyfriend/girlfriend just finished college, and has a month or so of free time before he/she starts his/her career job.

-Your boyfriend/girlfriend is not an outdoor person as much, but lately he/she is spending time with his/her college friends (same-sex friends) almost everyday since you are at work, and you do not like to go out as much in the evening because of being tired, and because the day after you have work. If you do meet during the working days, you just stay at each other’s home watching tv.

Would you be annoyed or angry knowing that he/she is spending lots of time with his/her friends while you are at work almost everyday? Would you feel better if he/she spends a few days at home alone watching TV rather than going out with his/her friends?

Ps. I am the one going out with my friends, and I'm sensing that he is not liking this as much.

Do you know what the word "compromise" means?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I wouldn't be annoyed. You'll be starting your job soon anyway.

I would say he/she just finished his/her schooling and deserves a month of FUN before embarking on the grand ol journey of 9 to 5.

I would not mind if my bf/gf hung out with their friends. They should have a life outside of me. As I should have a life outside of them. As long as I got my me time with them. If I had a date night with all one on one time together where I did not need to share them for one whole day at least once a week. Now I would not be ok supporting them all the time. If they just finished school and took say a month ok. But after that you need to start focusing on finding work and being productive. Cook dinner, do laundry, do food shopping, clean house, go to job fairs, go to unemployment. Whether male or female. Call and meet me for lunch.

It wouldn't bother me. Have fun!
    I LOVE ... US

It wouldn't bother me at all. It's healthy to have a life outside of your relationship.

Its also healthy to have a life inside your relationship. Compromise and moderation is the key. If you're spending more time with your friends then you are your partner then there is something wrong with that picture.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I guess I would need more details to know for sure. On the surface, though, I think it is ridiculous to have a problem with that. It sounds like you are not taking away any time that you and he would have been able to spend together anyway. Plus, you just finished college, so you certainly deserve a little bit of a break. As long as it weren't to become where you are spending so much time with friends that you never bother trying to start your career, I don't see a problem with taking a mini-break.

Plus, again, as long as you do spend an appropriate amount of time with him, I don't see why it should be a problem. He is at work anyway. Isn't like you two could hang out. Why does he care what you do in your free time? It is possible that maybe something else is bothering him. You could try talking to him about it. Just very calmly. In other words, try not to let it become an argument, but just see if he can tell you why it bothers him, and maybe there is some compromise you two can agree on that will keep you both happy. Fair warning, though, we men aren't often very good at talking about our feelings.