+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Finally ready to be with somebody

Finally ready to be with somebody

Hi everybody,
    First I want to apologise if my words are a bit incoherent or if I've posted this in completely the wrong place, this is my first time talking/posting in a forum of any type so please bear with me.
    So basically I have been single my whole life by my own choice and doing, purely for the reason of being alone and not in anyway to lead a bachelor type lifestyle of going from woman to woman. Up until maybe a year or so ago I identified as being Asexual, I was almost completely without any emotional or physical desire for anybody.
    I think being Asexual was predominately due to the psychological difficulties I've had since being a kid, which are Asperger's syndrome (specifically anxiety related) and ADD. Having these illnesses made me horribly anxious in many general situations such as playing with other kids and I subsequently became very isolated. Over time with help and guidance I have pretty much overcome all of the problems I used to have and am now a lot more confident and outgoing.
    As I mentioned before, I first noticed the shift in me being happy with remaining alone until just over a year ago when my best friend since childhood got married last summer. I then noticed the change significantly more when he and his wife had a baby who I am now godfather to. When they brought him home from the hospital for the first time and visited them at their home, seeing them all together like that, happy, loving and content made me feel like a switch had been flipped inside my brain and a warmth spread out in my chest. Since then I just feel that I'm ready to find somebody to share my time and life with, devote to and make happy everyday and forever.
    But obviously being single till now means that I have no experience with being in relationships and am still a virgin. Because of this I've been very nervous to put myself out there and start dating.
    I suppose the burning question I have is this: If you were to start dating somebody like me who when asked about their life and history, gives you a story like mine, would it be too overwhelming and ultimately scare you away?
    Please be as honest as possible. Thanks so much for your time and for reading and apologies for the essay length post.
    Best wishes,
    Jake

Definetly would not scare me away.. I would be a little scared to really fall for you at first, because I'd be afraid that maybe you would change your mind and decide that you weren't ready. I'd also feel pressure to be really awesome since I'd be your first. You haven't learned what you want out of a relationship yet because each relationship teaches u something but some people are with their first love so I can see that it does work out. I'd be more attracted to someone that has stayed private than a guy who has had a bunch of girlfriends. So those are just some of my feelings. But bottom line is I would give u a chance like I would anyone, if I was attracted to you

Thank you so much for replying, I completely understand some of the concerns you highlighted as it's one of the things I've been worrying over a bit, but I hope that I'll be able to think of ways to really prove myself to somebody that I was in for the long run and not just for short spell. But yeah thanks so much for your positive comments, it's given me a bit of lift inside and made me a little less nervous about putting myself out there.

I agree with purple_roses. You gotta start somewhere! My boyfriend was very inexperienced when we started dating (we're in our 30s) and I've had a lot of experience and many boyfriends. I thought it was sweet, after being with so many jerks who didn't respect women and didn't care about falling in love, and he didn't scare me away at all. I'd recommend doing online dating, you'll get to meet a lot of women that way and you don't have to come out with all of your history right away on the first date.

Dear AthenanJW,

To answer your question, I would find your honesty, sincerity and the strengths you have acquired inspiring.
    I am happy for you that something 'clicked' inside you; that warmth awoke something in you when you saw first hand a young family starting their lives together. Your Godson plays a significant part in this no doubt but it is also everything you have endured through your years of isolation/ insights gained.

Just be the gentleman you are. Keep it real, honest and loving. So many good women out there in need of a true good man.

best wishes to you and your future
    well done