+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Love only once?

Love only once?

Hello, thanks for sparing the time to read this~

My problem is not very different to that of many other people I'm sure. I was in a relationship once, a serious one that regretfully lasted only a little over a year. It was my first love, the first time when I was truly devoted to someone, perhaps to the point of being a little silly about it. I had had relationships before, but I had never quite been inlove, not like this. In any case, it's been quite awhile now, at the end of this month it will be 4 years since we broke up. I've had brief encounters with people some time after, but it was nothing special. Nothing stirred. I'm in a different relationship now, we've been together for about 4 months and we've known each other for well over 2 years. It looks and feels serious - my first serious one after the first.

Here's the deal though - I don't fancy myself inlove. I enjoy his company very much and we have very good chemistry. We have fun and we're there for each other. He's a stable adult, intelligent, with a lovely sense of humour and he's handsome too. But something is missing and I cannot even say what. Before you ask, no, I don't think I miss my ex. It's been so long now, I think I'm well over it. But I believe I miss the idea of love that I had then. Something broke when I lost that, something snapped and changed. I'm much more cynical now and I can't even imagine myself loving like that again. I don't even know if I believe in love anymore - it all seems so pragmatical; a bunch of criteria that someone has to meet, if they do - let's try, if not, move on.

But every now and then I stop and think of him. He was my first love. He was my best friend. He was a person I thought I'd see myself grow old with. And while the reasons for our break-up are still valid to this day, I can't help, but miss it all and think very firmly: I think I am one of those people who only love once.

I guess I just wanted some advice... whether you think this is at all plausible, that true love can happen to us only once. And maybe to know whether I am the only one who feels this silly about love.
    Last edited by Lorelay; 24-10-14 at 04:06 PM.

Well...will you ever be as excited about the prospect of going to Disney Land as you were at, say, age 8? I remember when I was a young teen...I could eat as much pizza/ice-cream as I wanted and never worried about the consequences because I couldn't gain a kilo no matter what. Not quite the same any more, If I eat pizza, I'm not just thinking about the enjoyment value, but the impact it'll have on my back side.

Point is - it's normal. The naivety that comes with youth and inexperience isn't meant to last forever. Most of us don't go into relationships like love-struck, giddy teenage girls any more but that's not to say we can't fall in love - we can and if you haven't, it's merely because you haven't met the right person, not because you're too jaded. I wouldn't want the same love as I had as a young woman...it was volatile, selfish and had the stability of a broken pair of high heels. When I finally met the right person (at 28), I realised that you can have passion without drama.

Maybe it could be because of your age. Love seems a lot more fun and exciting when you're younger! You should reflect on this.

Do you feel that person was your soul mate? It appears to be you do from reading your post.