+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I work this out?

Should I work this out?

I broke up with my boyfriend 4 days ago. I blocked him from my phone, but he keeps sending me emails saying he misses me and why I don't reply. The main issue I have is him not making the time to spend with me. He is always studying( he is a pre med student) and I feel that he postpones me to hang out with me. And when I say postponed, I am saying he only takes me out once a month, sometimes not even once a month . In regards to the phone, he says he will call back but never does.Recently (about 4 months ago; his mcat is on January 2015) He textes me a few times during the day , but the majority of texting occurs past midnight and sometimes he asks if he can see me or that he misses me or if I want to go over. I told him many times I didn't like him doing this to me so late but he still does it. He tells me that after midnight he is done studying and has all the time to text me, but I feel that if he really loved me he would text me more any time during the day regardless how busy he is. He has always been busy studying for the 3 years we've been together (even when I go over his house) and finds any little thing a waste of time for his studies. Over the past year I ask him to swim,run, go out, dine, movies with me and he rarely ever wants to do it because he has to study. I think this year we went out 10 times tops. Maybe not even. Even this Christmas and New Years he told me he wasn't planning anything because of his mcat exam which is in a month. After he told me this I dumped him. I feel that I am worth more than this, and I feel that he doesn't take me seriously.He is however, a trustworthy, faithful and caring guy in general. But he has never committed to taking any day off for me. I feel that a guy who loves you would commit to making the time for you. I understand how important the pre med field is but if he loved me he would care about my feelings too. He never plans anything or wants to do anything with me. He is still chasing me , showing that he still cares, but I feel that he doesn't take me seriously or he doesn't like or love me enough to want to actually take me out on dates or anything. I have spoken to him about this millions of times , and he has made little efforts here and there, but at the end of the day it reverts back to him not making time. It feels forced sometimes . I have lost interest in engaging in any sexual activity with him. I have resentment towards him for some reason. I just don't know if I'm being immature. We haven't spoken in 4 days but he emailed me saying how was my Christmas and that he misses me. He also emailed saying "do you really want to stop talking" . New Years is in a few days and I have been invited to parties but I don't know if I should go. What do I do about this whole situation? Should I try to work it out? (He is texting me as I write this from a different phone since his is blocked; he keeps trying to reach me)

No, don't give it another chance. His studies are important to him, and as a pre-med student, he'll have lots of study to do. But this isn't the type of relationship you want. You need someone who will have the time to see you...and this is not an unreasonable request.

It sounds like you've already discussed this a gazillion times and nothing has changed, so there's no reason to think it will change now.

As for the party invitations? Go for it! Let your hair down and have some fun
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I think that if you really in your heart want to be with him then yes you should try to work it out AFTER he takes the mcat. That way there is no excuse for him not spending time with you. But you are definitely right. When you truly love someone you make time for them. It's not about having time it's about making time.