+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Curious as to how I should continue forward with this girl.

Curious as to how I should continue forward with this girl.

So I met this girl about 2 months ago, and we started liking each other and opening up to each other over the past month. She's opened up about her past dating history, and really her life in general. She has really tough skin because she had a difficult time growing up, and I really respect her. She is unique to all the other girls I've dated before.

I obviously really like her, and shes shown and told me she really likes me. We both have common interests and personalities, we've met each other's families, and we are steadily and naturally growing closer to each other. She told me I threw her off because I wasn't clingy and pushy like all her other exes. I have been very patient with her through everything, and she says she is extremely grateful, and likes me more and more every day.

Just the other day however, she started asking what my family sees us as, and that led to me further questioning about her view of me and what she wanted, which I have done maybe once or twice before, but I got the most progress out of this conversation. She ended basically telling me she obviously really likes me, and all the qualities I have are qualities she is looking for, and she wants to move forward with me. We already hold hands, and cuddle, and display affection in public, but I'm sort of looking for a more emotional commitment thing between us, as that's what I'm ready for. I've been patient and made sure I don't push her boundaries, as her last relationship was a lying and cheating guy (also what I came from, but with a girl). I've been trying to earn her trust and show her that I won't be like that, and it's been progressing very naturally.

She did mention that she was trying to work through things in her head, because she isn't sure exactly what she wants. I have enough trust and faith in the character of this girl that she isn't just stringing me along. I actually brought up that I don't mind being patient with her, as long as she isn't just putting me up on the shelf, and she said she promises she isn't. I understand that it is a possibility, but I'm just going to trust that that's not whats happening.

She told me she would show me when shes ready to move forward (whatever that means?), and in the meantime I guess we will just progress as we have done before. Everyone in our families kind of knows we like each other and we spend a lot of time together, but it's just not really a straight up "boyfriend/girlfriend" thing yet.

What's all your take on my situation? What might she be going through in her head, and what should I do to help ensure I keep her? Obviously I can't make her be with me, but she has invested quite a bit of effort into me, and I'm just hoping we will be really together in the near future.

Its only been two months and what you have is advancing at a good pace. I hope by now you are kissing her lots along with that cuddling and holding hands. If you haven't been then I suggest you start... if you don't, then she's going to start viewing you as a girlfriend with dangly bits.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Oh gosh, I suggest you don't get with a girl who is just trying to settle and that you are only last choice. Because if someone better comes along, she'll abandon you in a heartbeat.