+ Follow This Topic

Thread: GF vs. Friends

GF vs. Friends

Hello all,
    My GF and I are in our early 30's, together two years, see each other on the weekends.

I have many friends and apparently have trouble balancing them and the GF. At first the GF was really cool with chillin with my friends, but has recently disliked a couple of them, and says it would be better for me to see them alone, which is fine, but then she says I am choosing them over her when I do!! BTW, GF has far fewer friends than me, which has been the case in most all women I have dated.

Certainly we can make "real" plans with my friends (mostly couples for dinner, boat, etc), but I have a number of neighbors who stop over with a couple beers in hand and chat, which I very much enjoy.

To an extent I am conditioned... through the years I have been with very "chill" women who were down for anything... I call them "easy going", she would call them "pushovers".

Just this AM she said she is coming over tonight, but I already told a friend I am free, so he is stopping by (I wasn’t going to cancel on him, when I said I would be around). I am sure she is going to take a little jab "It would have been nice to see you" or something.

What's going to happen if we move in together!?!?

Thanks for reading,
    J

These basic compatibility things are those which will make or break you. There is no right or wrong - it's just about how well the two of you fit together.

Perhaps you do need a laid back type of girl. There's nothing wrong with this. On the flipside, my hubby and his mates got bored with that type of girl and all married women who will stand their ground. Your current girlfriend may be happier with this type of man.

I can't tell you what decision to make - only to recognise that these issues won't go away.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    Perhaps you do need a laid back type of girl. There's nothing wrong with this. On the flipside, my hubby and his mates got bored with that type of girl...
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am fairly set in my ways and am used to doing pretty much what I want (never lived with someone full time), I can do some things over and over again and never get tired of it, and some things once and never again. Generally I am well entertained by friends/hobbies so I don't really need someone bringing more activities to the table.

It's also possible that your priorities will change when you meet Ms Right. I've seen it happen with male friends who have a full life and any girlfriend is low priority - but then they meet the right girl and suddenly they WANT to prioritise her.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    It's also possible that your priorities will change when you meet Ms Right. I've seen it happen with male friends who have a full life and any girlfriend is low priority - but then they meet the right girl and suddenly they WANT to prioritise her.
    That could be true... For me dating was tough... maybe 3-4 first dates a year. Friends of mine would break up with a women and 3 months later have a new GF.... I went YEARS between committed relationships due to not finding someone "good enough" (on par, or better than previous experiences).