+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question

A Question

So, I have a complex where I often think I know everything. It doesn't help the fact that I usually do. Anyway, often times I would get in a disagreement with my Ex about something.... Well let me give you an example....

Today she was talking about getting a UHaul for her move. She said she could get one at 30th and Arapahoe. Now I've lived here my whole life and drive by that location all the time. I do not recall EVER seeing a u-haul there. Turns out, at least according to the yellow pages, there is.

I may come off as a little cocky but I dont intend to. I'm sorry, but I tend to believe my own brain on something like this rather than another persons. Is this rational? Should I assume they are right and I am wrong despite what I believe to be true? It's not like we're talking some obscure fact or something that I may or may not know. I'm always willing to go find out the 'truth' but if I think you're wrong I'm going to let you know.

80% of the time, I know what I'm talking about. For the 20% I'm wrong, the other person usually throws it in my face. "See, I know what I'm talking about". Well, I sorry, but the other times you don't.

Anyway, I know this is a very odd question, if it's even a question at all. Am I wrong for acting the way I do? Am I wrong for assuming I know what I'm talking about? I dont want to come off an Ass.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Tone Guest
    Wow, pretty full of ourselves, aren't we?

Yea I am. But why shouldn't I believe my own self over someone else? Should I assume I'm wrong just because someone else says so? I guess I need to develop better tact. "Really? You think so? I'd sware I've never seen a u-haul there. I'll have to check it out"
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Tone Guest
    Exactly... LoL and to answer you first question... I dunno maybe because... YOU COULD BE WRONG. You are human afterall.

If it was me I'd just be like "Really? I didn't know that" and be done with it. I don't see what the big deal is lol...

Quote Originally Posted by TAVS
    Yea I am. But why shouldn't I believe my own self over someone else? Should I assume I'm wrong just because someone else says so? I guess I need to develop better tact. "Really? You think so? I'd sware I've never seen a u-haul there. I'll have to check it out"
    Yes...there are other ways to ALLOW for the fact that you MAY be incorrect without saying "Oh hell....I can't believe that I didn't know that....you're right, I'm wrong"....and at the same time, you don't have to say," there's no way that you're right!"

I'm only stubborn and bullheaded when I know that I'm right about something 100%....otherwise, I always allow for the fact that I COULD be wrong (although, I pride myself on the fact that I'm not wrong all that much ). I'm cocky too I guess...
    Negative Ghost Rider...the pattern is full.

i am right 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeblina
    Yes...there are other ways to ALLOW for the fact that you MAY be incorrect without saying "Oh hell....I can't believe that I didn't know that....you're right, I'm wrong"....and at the same time, you don't have to say," there's no way that you're right!"

I'm only stubborn and bullheaded when I know that I'm right about something 100%....otherwise, I always allow for the fact that I COULD be wrong (although, I pride myself on the fact that I'm not wrong all that much ). I'm cocky too I guess...

But But, I was 100% sure there were no U-Hauls at that gas station. Sure enough, however, I walked down there and saw like 1 truck, 7 trailers, and a car trailer. The Ex was there at the time talking to the guy, so I walked her to work and shared my recent thoughts on this subject.

But But, I was 100% sure there were no U-Hauls at that gas station. Sure enough, however, I walked down there and saw like 1 truck, 7 trailers, and a car trailer. The Ex was there at the time talking to the guy, so I walked her to work and shared my recent thoughts on this subject.
    But if you were 100% sure there were no U-hauls, and there WERE....that means that you were wrong....you only THOUGHT that you were 100% sure....
    Negative Ghost Rider...the pattern is full.

I dont want to come off an Ass(
    Too late.

lol (I crack myself up)

My Input On The Situation (MIOTS):

Develop some compassion in your life. Listen to others. Learn from a new perspective. Learn to see the new angle. Expand your horizon. Appreciate others' input (even though they may be wrong). Don't have the 'I Am Right Eighty Percent Of The Time Attitude (IAREPOTTA)'; with this mentality - you are bound for arguments and friction when you deal with others.

Instead, try adopting the 'That's An Interesting Point You Make, Tell Me More (TAIPYMTMM)' attitude.

It's up to you:

IAREPOTTA Vs. TAIPYMTMM

If you choose the later (and I hope you do), then report back your results on this thread, and tell us the difference it made to your life and your relationships in life.

Good Luck, and GOD SPEED.

Well I am an open minded person. I think this topic is a bit different than what you explained Rsk. When things are subjective, I'm all for listening.

Here's another situation just for chatting purposes. This is fictional but along the lines of a real scenario.

Boss: Last week you told me this Poodle was a Cat
    Me: No I didn't.
    Boss: Yes you did.
    My thought: You idiot, I've always known this poodle was a dog. Why the F would I
    ever say it was a Cat?
    Me: No sir, I have never made such a claim.
    Boss: No really, you did
    Me: Okay, fine. Just forget what I said. I'm telling you now, this poodle is a Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra
    i am right 100% of the time.
    That's pretty good! I am usually right only about 98%.

Well I am an open minded person. I think this topic is a bit different than what you explained Rsk. When things are subjective, I'm all for listening.

Here's another situation just for chatting purposes. This is fictional but along the lines of a real scenario.

Boss: Last week you told me this Poodle was a Cat
    Me: No I didn't.
    Boss: Yes you did.
    My thought: You idiot, I've always known this poodle was a dog. Why the F would I
    ever say it was a Cat?
    Me: No sir, I have never made such a claim.
    Boss: No really, you did
    Me: Okay, fine. Just forget what I said. I'm telling you now, this poodle is a Dog.
    I'm beginning to like you more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    That's pretty good! I am usually right only about 98%.
    I'm usually left...trying to decide when I want to be right and when I want to succeed. Often, a person has to chose one over the other.
    Speak less. Say more.

Call me greedy, but I want both.
    haha

No, Shh!. That's not greedy at all. That's just the way women are.
    Speak less. Say more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast