+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Tricks to stop thinking about a past love.

Tricks to stop thinking about a past love.

Any posters deal with this successfully and what tricks helped you? When your heart won't let you move on even though your head knows it's time.

A few random ideas if you've already created a no contact environment and still can't get over an ex.

Do things your ex hated.
    Make simple changes to your lifestyle. ie: change and/or reorganize furniture, change your wardrobe, explore new hobbies, etc.
    Keep your mind occupied. Work more, workout more, spend more time on hobbies you're passionate about, etc.
    Casual relations/relationships can also help take your mind off an ex. Just be sure whomsoever you choose to spend time with understands the terms of the relationship.
    Pain is what the world does to you, suffering is what you do to yourself. Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Good suggestions from, solarion.
    Here's some I found online for you.

If you find yourself experiencing this feeling, here are few suggestions to help you alleviate those obsessive thoughts:

Get in touch with your fears. Sometimes writing down or talking about this fear helps get it out of your head.

Limit your obsessiveness. Plan a time of day and a specific amount of time (15 minutes) you will allow yourself to obsess. When the thought comes to you and it isn't that time of day, tell yourself it is NOT time and reserve that thought for the time permitted.

Utilize help from friends. Friends can help you differentiate fiction from fact. If you are sure he is out with someone else and there is no evidence, your friends can assure you that you shouldn’t think like this until you have clear evidence.

Distract yourself. Whenever you begin to obsess, transplant a different thought or action into your schedule. For example, whenever you begin to obsess, tell yourself you will do 20 crunches or push-ups. Soon, you will either find yourself thinking of reasons not to think about him, or you will be working toward a buff chest and tight tummy, which will help boost body confidence.

Shut off all communication. If you are worried he won't call and you make yourself unavailable, this helps preserve the ego. You can tell yourself maybe he called or maybe he didn't, but YOU were unavailable. It gives the control back to you.

Anyone who has ever obsessed about anyone's affection knows how terribly out of control it feels. It may fuel the affection, but it distracts you from being who you want to be.

The question isn't will he like you or not; the question is, do you like yourself enough to acknowledge the obsessive thoughts, but not let them control your life?

Thank you, solarion and megvoh for your posts and advice. I will try hard to follow what you both have posted to me even though it is difficult.

[MENTION=81206]solarion[/MENTION], no we are still in contact, there is only ever been a few months here and there we haven't been.

Any easier or same feelings for you with whomever? No easy way, unless permanent memory loss.

No, just have not spoken to them in any way, shape or form for a while. I went the no contact route and I don't think that helps because then it adds worry on top of everything else.