+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Avoiding being put into friendzone

Avoiding being put into friendzone

Hello, I'm not a person who usually share problems with others, but now I'm confused and think that I really need an advice and some kind of kick in the butt to get gather up courage and do something at last.

So this story begins like many others do - There is a girl We've known each other about 1,5 year and since then we're friends - not the closest ones, but I like her, she likes me, and we quite often meet in a group of our mutual friends. We're both at the same university, however she's 2 years older.
    So some time ago I felt that maybe she's the one, and I'd like to try if this can work out. But... I suck in picking up girls .
    I have a few female friends that I get along really well and feel very comfortable with, but I just don't see potential girlfriends in them. I've never had serious relationship. There was one girl I had fallen in love with, but she told me that we can be friends only. There was also one that craved me, but I didn't want to be with her.

So now, due to little experience and being shy in this kind of situations I don't know what to do... Lately I was with her in the cinema and in pub to have a beer after the movie. Few days later I took her out again. These were first two times we went somewhere alone. (Well, I had spent with her some time alone before, but only in situations when rest of our friends left earlier ) Anyways, we had a good time, but I'm such a pussy and haven't done anything to show her how I feel. I'm afraid, that if I don't do anything necessarily on our next meeting, I will put myself into friendzone, cause she'll think that I just want to be a close friend.

So what should I do, to be totally clear in my intentions, but not to be too insistent? Next time I'll see her will be probably soon but in a group of our mutual friends. How to act on this kind of meeting? And also, where do you think I should ask her out next time and how to act then?

I had a similar situation happen this year and now I'm dating the girl.

You just have to lay it out there...

I asked several girls that were friends how to approach this and they all said to TEXT her instead of saying it in person. If you say it in person, it could ruin the night and make things VERY awkward so just text her and say something like...

"I mean no pressure to you at all by saying this, I just want you to know that I am interested in moving beyond friends. If you don't feel the same, that's okay I just wanted to put it out there because it has been on my mind for some time now"

Get your nerve together and tell her you want to date her. Do NOT mince words, use those words exactly. I don't even care if you want to tell her you aren't too experienced with these things, but you want to date her, and do not be apologetic about it. Otherwise, yes... you will end up in the friend zone.