+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Am I making the right choices?

Am I making the right choices?

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, and I am here to find answers to some very difficult questions. It all comes down to what my priorities in life are, or should be. For example whether that is "being happy" or "making a career/money"

I graduated from uni almost 5 years ago, and was expected to work in the same field until I retire. But I was not mature, not independent, and the pressure in most of my internships made me unhappy.
    I decided to try something different, and flew to Australia which is the other side of the planet to me (European)

I worked casual jobs, moved on to 22 different countries in the next 4 and a half years. The last 2 of them, I travel 14 weeks, go home to work 10, then travel again. The jobs at home require no skill at all, but factory type jobs are the only thing I can do for just 10 weeks.

Since 4 months ago I am committed to a relationship in South America, and the only way to make it work is by going home 5 months of each year (moving in with parents) and spending the savings there for the remaining months. My parents want me to make a serious career, and stop doing these jobs I am very overqualified for. Think of your future and your retirement, son.. But it is the only way to keep going back to my girlfriend.

The pressure in my family makes me hesitate sometimes. My love for her is strong, but I need to give up my whole career to make it work. As if 5 years in uni served no purpose.
    And making it work is for 7 months of each year. There is no great future prospect in it, but I don't want to give up on my girlfriend.

I think a lot of people tell me that my choice is bad because I basically have 7 months of holiday each year, which most people dream of. Would you follow your heart and continue with factory jobs, or give in to the pressure of society and live like everybody else?

I feel like people judge/value me based on the career I choose, rather than the life I live.

Well, sometimes, the career you choose dictates who you will spend a majority of your time with. These people, and my default, their relationship to you via the worksplace - will ensure they help shape your identity & personality. You CAN compartmentalize yourself, in that having a "secret" personal life - but that's not too healthy in the long term either.

Maybe, think og ways you can use the skills & talents you enjoy using - in a different setting or occupation - enabling you to be around ppl who you feel like you fit better with.

big hugs of support and keep reflecting & believing in yourself.
    Sunny Shores of
    Sun Pixies from Dixie
    generating happiness from a place of love