+ Follow This Topic

Thread: The one person you never forget

The one person you never forget

So there's this thing where every guy, and so I think every girl as well, has that one person they liked, and can never forget. No matter what the outcome of it was, I'd like for people to share their stories about that one guy or girl here. Get some stories and such going. I'll post mine to start:

I did karate for 7 years starting when I was 6. There was this one girl in my class, brown hair and gorgeous blue eyes. I sparred with her and caught myself, and maybe even her looking during other excercises. Never had the guts to do anything serious tho, years passed and I had quit karate, then in my 3rd year of middle school I noticed she had miraculously joined my school as well in 2nd year. In high school I picked a subject she chose as well by chance, and I began to see her a little during school. Talking, eventually even texting and hanging with friends, by now people had noticed and probably she as well, that I was into her.. A LOT. A prom kind of thing came and yeah I got blown off, or so I thought. Now I think I may hadn't been straight forward enough,but anyhow even tough she texted me multiple times afterwards, I slowly stopped starting convo's in order to get over her... Never did, I'm 18 now and she still crosses my mind and I always wonder what my life 'd be like even if she was still just a friend... Lesson learned..Never let go of people you don't want/need to

My first BF would be mine.
    Smile for days, gorgeous green eyes, dark hair. His family was from Italy and moved to the UK when he was young and I think I fell in love upon first laying eyes on him, it sounds corny to say but sometimes you feel that instant spark all over and for him I felt that. I haven't seen him since I was 16 but still has a soft spot with me.

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

You know, as bizarre as this will sound for folks who know me on the board, I actually don't have one. You'd think, with me being such a hopeless romantic, always having a crush on somebody, that I'd have several. The thing is, though I am a huge hopeless romantic type and also crush on women a lot.... I'm strangely realistic with myself about it. Meaning while in the crush, though I do crush hard, I realize that it may just be me getting carried away in the crush. In addition to that... if/when the person leaves my life, I may miss/cling to that thought for a while, but eventually I move on and they are all but gone in my mind.

Don't get me wrong... there are past crushes that still cross my mind now and then and part of me wishes I could have them still in my life.... But there isn't really any one that I think back all the time and can still feel like I'd give my right arm to be with them. I think I move on easily, which is good, but can also be kind of bad. I think part of the reason I move on so easily, at least to some degree, is because part of me doesn't think I'll ever have anybody anyway, so it becomes easier just to let myself move on.

The guy I dated right after my significant ex would be mine. I saw him perform at a stand up comedy show one night, and thought, "I need to get to know this guy." So I found out when his next show was, which was a week later, and I introduced myself to him. He had this energy about him that sucked me in "like a tractor beam", just like Lloyd says about Mary in Dumb and Dumber hahaha... anyway. We dated for a few months before we decided to scale things back a bit. We saw each other non-exclusively for 2.5 years. Then I decided to move to Toronto for four months and didn't tell him. Then I realized that I really missed him while I was out there. I could not stop thinking about him, and I decided to move back (not just because of him, but because Toronto didn't feel like home to me). But I didn't tell him I was coming home either. I just showed up at one of his shows and was like, "hey. What's up?" loooool. Anyway, he had a new girlfriend and I realized that if I had been honest about how into him I was, maybe we could have become something. He kept trying to get in contact with me while he was with his girlfriend, and there were two separate occasions where I was desperate enough to go see him. Then I decided it was stupid, and immature, and I was holding onto someone who wasn't worthy of being with me, so I gave up on him. I would always think about him though, and any time I would run into him at comedy shows, I would get that pang in my stomach that proved I still felt something for him. Luckily, I met a new guy who treats me sooooo well, and I am super happy with him, so even though that guy will still message me every weekend, without fail, I don't feel those pangs inside anymore. Now that I have something real with a great guy, it doesn't feel like I am missing out on what I could have had with the comedian.

We know that emotions and connection to someone you are attracted to can be a really powerful thing. It's important not to over-romanticize that feeling, though; and to learn the difference between lust and love. It's tricky, because a lot of the time they feel the same; but there is a big difference, and it can take a long time to come to that realization. At least it did for me.
    "Caring is not an advantage."

a girl i met from a gaming site when in my early teens, we talked almost daily for a few years, nothing romantic, some flirting but just a really funny, smart, nice girl and if she didn't live in another country i would have been happy to date her but neither wanted to move and over time we just phased out talking.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

My ex and not for any good reasons but they qualify because of how they ended our relationship after years by being a coward and a cheat ( wasn't told, but found out from others after the fact, you know how it goes with cowards they never have the balls to own up...) because of the hurt they are the one that sticks out for nothing but terrible reasons.

^ At least in remembering how they hurt you you won't ever let yourself fall victim to that again ~ you have the signs & tools now & are in a great relationship from the sounds of it today & he will just keep repeating same bad behaviors & wonder why he can't find the one.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Someone I loved a great deal and died too soon. I feel it holds them always there in the forefront of your mind and thoughts after that and you always thing of how they were and wonder how they would have been.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

I've got a story about this one. I was in a pretty bad place in late 2012. I had met somebody over the summer, things were fantastic. Found out there was a lot of drama attached. A LOT of drama. It messed me up hard. An old friend/ex came back into my life and it felt like we were going to try again, or that was my interpretation of it. I was so wrecked with self doubt that I blew it up and destroyed it. I'm in a much better place now though. I like myself and where my life is going. But, man, I think about her every once in a while and kick myself. It's one of those moments where you know, if you could have done it over again, you wouldn't have wasted it. Just one of those connections that makes you think it was meant to be. Man, I could kick myself just thinking about it now.

On the flipside, I have a real story of loss. In March/April 2013, I met somebody. They were fantastic. We clicked instantly. Like one of those old film noirs where you just flirt back and forth until the tension gets to the point that you can't stand it anymore. We dated for a while and then, they vanished. I had no idea what to make of it, so it hit me hard when I learned they had killed themselves. I try not to blame myself for it, but our last few days before that were not the best and I didn't do a better job listening to them when they felt like that.

So sorry to hear both of your stories, Magnitude. I can honestly sort of relate to how you feel in both cases. I didn't necessarily have similar experiences, but I can relate to how you must have felt. As far as your ex with whom you feel you may have blown the chance to reconnect....

Honestly, think of it like this.... She was already your ex in the first place. It's not like this is ALWAYS the case, but as a general rule of thumb, your ex is your ex for a reason. Honestly, you two had already been together and it didn't work out then. There was at least a pretty good chance it wouldn't have worked out anyway. I definitely get how you feel, though. I've not necessarily had that exact same experience, but I have been in situations where I felt like I blew it and later looking back wish I'd done things differently. In most cases, though, I found that maybe I could have handled things better.... but that I didn't really blow it because there were signs I was ignoring that it was the wrong situation for me anyway. Almost like my own mind throwing up defense mechanisms without me being aware of it.

So sorry as well to hear of the gal who took her own life. I would personally never judge somebody who did that. Sure, it is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, but the problems don't feel very temporary when you are in the middle of them yourself. I can understand feeling that low.

As for your relationship with her, you shouldn't feel too bad. It sounds like you may have been going through enough of your own stuff. Sometimes it is just honestly hard enough in life dealing with your own crap that, no matter how much you may wish you could, you just can't deal with somebody else's either. Believe me, I'm sure if she was that low she was probably going to do something drastic like that regardless of your status together. There likely wasn't much you could have done. It is such a shame, though. I've felt that low myself. I'd never take my own life, but not because of lack of the desire. It's just not in me to give up, no matter how much I wish I just could. But, I can relate to feeling that low, so I hate to hear of anybody suffering through that, or even more so hate when they finally lose the battle. If nothing else, I hope she at least found the peace she could not in life.

This is exactly my problem and the reasoning why I joined this forum: To make my story short, the one person that I can't stop thinking about is my problem. I go to bed thinking of her, wake up thinking of her. Been like that for 20+ years.