+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Why can't I find a relationship?

Why can't I find a relationship?

I suppose I should tell you a little about myself. I'm 14, a guy, and I guess I should mention im straight. freshman year (A/B student), 6'1", around 220lb. (Mostly muscle, I swear), with long brown hair, usually in a ponytail with a side-part, or slicked back. My face is round, like a baby, and I have a mole (not a giant unsightly one with the three cartoon hairs) in the center of my nose, right between my eyes. I grew up on a farm in Northwest Florida and in the Florida keys, but don't expect me to speak with an accent or say that im a redneck and proud. I abhore the trailer-folk I grew up around. Anyway, I have alot of quirks. I'm a greaser, a Steampunk, a Dieselpunk, a nerd (no, not the hipstery "Omg, I'm such a nerd" guy. Screw him.), a Mod and a Rocker, but my greatest quirk would be my wardrobe. I always wear the same outfits. A white polo, tucked into khakis with either a brown leather vest or a black leather jacket, depending on the weather, and I might wear a pair of motorcycle or Steampunk goggles on my forehead, depending on my mood.. My father grew up in the 60's in Newport News, VA, and he taught me to be a gentleman, and to learn from other's mistakes. From stories, technology, realistic fiction, and people i grew up around, I feel like I grew up with the generations from when things were better. I try to play the part of both the gentleman and the bad boy, keep a smile on my face, and drop a compliment when I see an opportunity. All of my friends say I'm very caring, charming, sweet, and playful, but its hard to keep that up with low self-esteem. Most people would call my tastes and sense of humor "retro" or "cheesy", and that's the way I like it. Finally, when it comes to romance, I have a very traditional sense. I like to go see a movie, the stupid cutie petnames, a walk in the park, flowers, all the cheesy stuff. So what am I doing wrong? I try, and try, and try until I'm blue in the face, and all I get is sand kicked in my eyes. (Not literally, I'm too brawny for somebody to try that.) But seriously, it's always, "It would never work between us", or something like that, shoving me into that eternal void that is...the friend zone. *Horror strike*
    It's especially infuriating when I look around and see all my friends in relationships, and the jerks with girls they treat like garbage. I'm a perpetual third wheel and a self proclaimed Hopeless Romantic. Look, I know there's still "plenty of time" and "life goes on", but the end of my childhood is closer and closer and in just a few short years, I'm going to be an adult, with responsibilities and living life, never having experienced any form of the thing called "young love." I don't want to be that guy! Can anyone help me?

Probably not the answer that you want, but you'll find it when you find it. It would have very little to do with you and more to do with just not having found the right person yet. I remember feeling like I was missing out at your age because I wasn't dating either. Also, remember that young love doesn't expire when you hit 18 either. It's going to feel just as magic, and just as fun and exciting whether it happens at 14 or 16 or 19 or 22. The first wont even necessarily be the one you get most carried away by either. You seem like a good kid, with a good idea of who you are. You'll meet someone cool before you know it. Less people are dating than you probably think are, even if that's not true of your immediate friend group. Chill out. You're not an old man at 18 "Plenty of time". Chances are it'll happen in the next couple years anyway.