+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Metrosexuals?

Actually, UBER, is a misonomer (sp), it is derived from the German word, OBER, meaning, OVER, or ABOVE.

Misnomer relative to what?
    Speak less. Say more.

haha I get called metro on occasion by girls looking for something to say

since I care what I look like (dress nicely, clean hair cut/shave etc...) and carry myself well. That kind of look will attract those girls interested in such and being a burly looking woodsy guy will attract girls interested in the paul bunyans out there lol.

and this whole time thing for getting ready - only retards and homos need more than 20-30 min including the shower

lilwing89 Guest
    ok assholes, i didnt bother reading any of the posts before LoL, but just what exactly is a metrosexual anyways?

misnomer \mis-NO-muhr\, noun:
    1. The misnaming of a person in a legal instrument, as in a complaint or indictment.
    2. Any misnaming of a person or thing; also, a wrong or inapplicable name or designation.

a wrong, or inapplicable name or designation.

As applied to this prefix

OBER not UBER, where it became mutated is beyond me.

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwing89
    ok assholes, i didnt bother reading any of the posts before LoL, but just what exactly is a metrosexual anyways?

Good. I'm not the only one...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluevetteracer
    misnomer \mis-NO-muhr\, noun:
    1. The misnaming of a person in a legal instrument, as in a complaint or indictment.
    2. Any misnaming of a person or thing; also, a wrong or inapplicable name or designation.

a wrong, or inapplicable name or designation.

As applied to this prefix

OBER not UBER, where it became mutated is beyond me.
    I believe most of us know what "misnomer" means. That wasn't my question. But now that see your reply, I understand you're talking about what appears to be a mis-spelling, not a misnomer. It's not. It's two different words. The German "ober" transliterates to English as "upper," while "uber" (with an umlaut) transliterates to "more." (The umlaut may be a source of the two words being confused. A "u" with an umlaut looks remarkably like an "o" at a distance.) Taking idioms into account, "uber" becomes "over" and, thence, "super," depending on locale and time in history. Strictly speaking, "ubersexual" may be correctly interpreted as "more sexual," or, if you like, "super sexual."

What happens to "uber" is similar to what to happens the Spanish phrase "puta madre" when you go from Mexico to Spain. In Mexico the phrase is, generally, an insult to one's mother. In Spain, it means, "****ing cool." Got my ass in a wringer on that one while visiting Vallarta. I was hanging out in Puerto Vallarta spouting "puta madre" to all and sundry, thinking I was exclaiming "that's ****ing cool!" as I had in Spain. A nice Mexican woman took me aside and suggested it might be good idea for me to stop calling everyone's mother a whore.
    Last edited by whaywardj; 16-10-05 at 05:51 PM.
    Speak less. Say more.

indigosoul Guest
    Ahhhaaaaa! Fascinating. Thanks Spock!

FYI, W, I almost piped up that your question wasn't answered...but then I realized I'd probably be violating some kind of thread etiquette.

lilwing89 Guest
    is W me or whaywardj?

indigosoul Guest
    is W me or whaywardj?
    Sorry, "W" is my short name for Hayward.

Quote Originally Posted by indigosoul
    Ahhhaaaaa! Fascinating. Thanks Spock!

FYI, W, I almost piped up that your question wasn't answered...but then I realized I'd probably be violating some kind of thread etiquette.
    There isn't an answer. The poster was confused. I thought he was trying to say "ubersexual" was a misnomer for what everyone calls an ubersexual and was wondering what the hell he called it; or what he was referring to. Spent some time trying to hear the sound of one hand clapping until he made it clear he was really talking about a perceived mis-spelling. Whether "uber"(more)sexual or "ober"(upper)sexual, the intended meaning is pretty clear in common usage, which is always the final arbitar of a language. Although, "ober" might raise some eybrows in parts of the world where "Ober" is a common surname. It'd be like saying, "Oh, he's so Indigosoulsexual."

Which, now that I've said it, does have a delicious sounding ring to it.
    Speak less. Say more.

lilwing89 Guest
    is there like some sort of connection between metrosexuals and metropolitans?

indigosoul Guest
    is there like some sort of connection between metrosexuals and metropolitans?

You know, I read this and immediately thought: ICE CREAM.

The human brain is truly a strange thing...

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whaywardj
    T"Oh, he's so Indigosoulsexual."

Which, now that I've said it, does have a delicious sounding ring to it.
    Delicious, eh? Ice cream, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by indigosoul
    You know, I read this and immediately thought: ICE CREAM.

The human brain is truly a strange thing...
    Like minds...I thought "Neopolitan." But couldn't think of a sufficiently witty quip to post, so forgot about it.

Tiger Kiss option, huh? Hm. My kind of girl. Grrr!
    Speak less. Say more.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast