+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Boyfriend sounds very down and lonely. Should I be worried?

Boyfriend sounds very down and lonely. Should I be worried?

I have been with my long distance boyfriend since September. We first met when he was back in his home country where I am living now. He studies overseas. We were together first for 3 weeks, a month or so in between that away from each other and then together for a few months. His parents have met my parents and I know most of his family. Regardless of how long we have been together, we're quite serious. He left to go back to studying less than a week ago and every time we speak on the phone, which he never used to be like, he sounds very down. Last night he admitted that he misses me and saying good bye to each other was very hard, lots of tears. That his hall he is staying in is very quiet and a bit lonely. It's study time so most of his friends are studying. He usually plays rugby a couple of times a week, he has done it once since he's back however said yesterday he had the chance but did not feel like it. He is a very much a go getter, enthusiastic type so I am a bit concerned. He has dinner incredibly early as he claims there is nothing to do and sleeps at 7pm which he has been doing for the past few nights. Yesterday we spoke for two hours on the phone twice, in total four hours. When I mentioned that I had to sleep as it was getting late for me, he sounded even more down. I mentioned to him that he can always talk to me about how he is feeling. He also said last night that he sometimes regrets studying overseas and wish he would have studied back in his home country - this could be because he misses me.

Then today when we were on the phone, after we got of the phone to each other he mentioned that his mother has a celebration reunion on her side of the family tonight and that he wishes he could be there. I mentioned that we will always be here and that it is important he does the best he can do with his last year left of University. He mentioned that he just doesn't like down times like this, that he is so glad he has me this year as he felt quite lonely last year and that I'm a great girlfriend to him and that he loves how much he cares about him and he feels special.

All he needs is time. I am in a long distance relationship and we have been apart for longer than we were actually in each other's company. It was extremely hard at the start, but make sure to keep in regular contact and keep checking in on how things are in his life. I wish you both all the best