+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How would you feel if you met your high school crush again?

How would you feel if you met your high school crush again?

Last weekend outside a night club, I met a girl I've not seen in over 10 years... this girl also happened to be the first girl I ever fell in love!

I knew she liked me back, I once overheard her friend say something about the two of us. Unfortunately, we never spoke much as we both had crippling shyness! School finished in 2006 and we both went our separate ways. I still thought about her, but assumed she was out of my life for good.

When I let on to her last weekend, after 10 years apart, she was quite shocked I still recognized her (she'd put on a little weight). We got talking about our old school, what we'd been up to since, where we lived etc. We even agreed to share a taxi home! It was surreal. I had always felt guilty these years for never making an effort to talk to her and now, I was finally able to register some interest.

I've had a casual chat to her on facebook, but she has since gone quiet. It seems she's deliberately left my last message unread for over a week now, so I've kinda accepted that she's ignoring me?

My question is this, if you met your first crush again after a long period of time, how would you feel? Would you still hold any feelings towards them?

We've obviously both moved on since school, we've overcome our shyness and been in relationships with other people, etc. Despite the ignore on Facebook, I'm not feeling too rejected/hung up over it, I'm just more relieved I was able to finally talk to her and give a strong impression I liked her!

Oh well, maybe in another 10 years!

I would still have good, loving and positive feelings towards them...we didn't leave things on a bad or sour note... If I was single and them as well I might follow up on those feelings if neither or one of us weren't free I wouldn't follow up, just smile and be happy with my memories of them, I guess.

I am in the somewhat same situation. The moment I laid eyes on this girl 20 years ago, in middle school, I knew she was the one. I was VERY timid back then. I moved away my sophomore year. I've been through 2 failed marriages since that time. All the while, this girl was on my mind.
    After my last divorce (2 years ago), I posted on Facebook how I was feeling, and asked if any of my friends had been through anything like this, because I needed some advice. Guess who was the first one coming to my rescue! The girl I had always thought about. I immediately asked her out. And we hit it off pretty quickly, agreeing that we would take it slow. That was extremely difficult for me. We have been together ever since that quirky first date. Her two boys love me like a dad, and my daughter loves her.
    We got engaged back in August. We are going through some very difficult times, but I know we love each other. And I have faith that we will get things smoothed over. Most of it is my insecurities from my past. But she has helped me through a lot.

But to answer your question. My feelings came flooding back the instant we started talking. Period. That's why it was so difficult for me to move slow. Within a few months, I told her I loved her.

I would feel happy for more reasons they I'd like to say but it would never be possible for me though, sadly. Sometimes the right person gets away and then things happen that makes it impossible to ever go back again.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

well a lot changes in 10 years. I was with my high school crush for 4 years. I still care deeply for them and it's awesome to have that bit of history....but that's all it is. History and good memories.

are you just curious or are you expecting advice regarding your current situation?
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.