+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I be worried about Chlamydia?

Should I be worried about Chlamydia?

This situation involves me and 2 girls. I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend for a year and neither of us has been tested for STD's.

Eventually I broke up with my girlfriend and got frisky with a neighborgirl. A week later, the neighborgirl tells me she it hurts when she pees, and that she thinks we should get checked. She ends up getting checked and she tests positive for Chlamydia. She gets antibiotics for her and myself and we both take them. I let my ex know that she needs to get checked.

So here's when mistakes are made - neighborgirl and I didn't wait a full week before having a sex again, we had sex after just 3 or 4 days. So, in this instance, I'm worried that we gave it back to each other.

Furthermore, shortly after that period, I hooked up with my ex (who likely had it) and *almost* had sex with her. Literally what stopped us is that she wasn't very lubricated down there. When I tried to "stick it in", I noticed it wasn't going to work, so I pulled back out (no full insertion). We could've used lube or condoms but after that initial attempt I thought it was a bad idea. This was another mistake - we didn't have sex but I'm not sure if that contact was enough to re-spread the chlamydia to myself.

A week and a half later, I go into Planned Parenthood for an STD check to see if I still have Chlamydia. The Doctor tells me that it's not worth testing for it - she said it's likely I'd receive a false positive because there's possibly leftover bacteria from the infection that takes a couple months to clear up entirely. I'd have to wait a few months to re-test. So, while I was there, I tested for other things (HIV, Syphilis, Herpes) and came up clean for those. She gave me a prescription for anti-biotics to take again, which I haven't taken yet. She also gave me a partner pack, which I gave to my ex.

Well, I've gotten back together with my ex since that point, but I've been refraining from sex. I've also kept her in the dark regarding "the other girl" that I saw when we were broken up, so she's not fully aware of the situation. I let her give me oral once the other night, but that might've been a bad idea if I do indeed still have chlamydia. I've contacted the neighbor girl who initially alerted me about the chlamydia and she told me she had a cotton swab test which tested negative, and that she has no symptoms.

SO, to quickly summarize
    - I'm worried I might have Chlamydia because I had sex too soon after taking the antibiotics. It's also possible I could've gotten it from my ex when I tried to insert penis into her (and failed) before deciding to not have sex.

BUT

- It seems just as likely I don't have Chlamydia. If the girl who initially alerted me about it says her 2nd test was clean and she has no symptoms, then that probably means I didn't get reinfected. The sexual contact with my ex (who had it at the time) was minimal (we didn't actually have sex, I just tried to put my penis in her vagina and it was too tight/dry so I pulled out, no real insertion).

So either I don't have chlamydia and I'm over-thinking things... or I have it and I just gave it back to my ex (who isn't really my ex anymore, but I call her that for the sake of keeping the story simple).

Should I be worried or am I over-thinking it? What would be the proper course of action? Just forget about it until summer and then re-test? Or just take the extra anti-biotics I have and forget about it? This chlamydia thing has been running circles in my head for months now. I'm tempted to just take the anti-biotics I have and then cut all ties with my ex and neighborgirl, because that's the only way I could guarantee I'm clean.
    Last edited by lolerskates; 18-04-15 at 01:50 PM.

I'm completely floored that condoms haven't been mentioned in your whole post - either in the past or as a way to continue in the future.

Tell your (ex) girlfriend that you may not be clean. Even if she doesn't continue with you, she has a right to know that she may have been infected. BOTH of you need to use condoms with each other or other new partners until your STI statuses can be verified.

And please, make sure to use condoms for any sex you have where a person's STI status is unknown.
    Last edited by basilandthyme; 18-04-15 at 02:38 PM.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

We used condoms for awhile (my ex and I) when we first got together and still do, we just don't use them right away at the beginning. As for the neighborgirl, she's very young and told me she was clean based on testing a few months before that and she was on birth control.

If my ex is infected, it wouldn't help to get her retested - retesting is expensive (and only works with certain tests, my Dr. said it's possible for tests to suggest a false positive). I'd rather just give her antibiotics straight up and suggest that the previous antibiotics didn't work and say I think I'm still having symptoms. I might just go this route.

Logically though, shouldn't I be fine? If the neighborgirl tested clean and there was no actual sex with my ex while she was infected, just brief genital contact (no fluid transfer), the odds of me being infected should be fairly low I figure. I could just get tested in a couple months when the test won't risk a false positive and go from there. A couple months of symptomless chlamydia shouldn't do anything permanent I'd hope.
    Last edited by lolerskates; 18-04-15 at 04:49 PM.

You probably are fine. But I'd be using condoms 100% of the time until you get re-tested.

As for your ex, her health care is a decision she must make for herself with advice from her doctor. It's not your call if she should do another dose of antibiotics. All you should do with her is provide all the facts.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

lol i i knew this bosnian woman she was 22 and very proud of saving herself for marriage.

she was as annoying as any 22 year old saving her virginity, of course...

she was also in med school. one night at a get together of 5 normal women, sexually active, and her, she told us she had chlamydia in her mouth...

it was funny and sad at the same time...(obviously STDs are not funny but she was suppose to be this proud virgin, lol)

she also thought only med students know about chlamydia, i guess...yes bosnian people can be this ignorant or arrogant..

in bosnia women don't consider blow jobs sex and she honestly though she was still saving herself for marriage...

sorry, i digressing don't know much about stds never had one...

didn't your doctors explain to you how to go about it?
    Last edited by eve.ashley; 19-04-15 at 02:58 AM.

Thanks for the advice. When I went for the retest, I told the situation and the Dr. advised me to have both of us take anti biotics (but she was referring to the neighborgirl, not my ex). Of course, the neighborgirl just got retested as clean instead. This is the same Dr. my ex saw (we go to the same clinic).

Also my memory may have distorted the situation a bit. I'm not sure if the brief genital contact between my ex and myself happened before or after she took the antibiotics. I'm not sure why I'd have had sex with her if I'd taken them and she hadn't - I think the real worry is that I reinfected her, because I was worried I reinfected myself after sex with the neighborgirl. But if the neighborgirl tested clean then I'm probably just worrying for nothing.

I'm going to just try to see if I can score more antibiotics for her because it's cheaper than retesting and I have to wait longer beforw I can retest.
    Last edited by lolerskates; 18-04-15 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lolerskates View Post
    Thanks for the advice. When I went for the retest, I told the situation and the Dr. advised me to have both of us take anti biotics (but she was referring to the neighborgirl, not my ex). Of course, the neighborgirl just got retested as clean instead. This is the same Dr. my ex saw (we go to the same clinic).

Also my memory may have distorted the situation a bit. I'm not sure if the brief genital contact between my ex and myself happened before or after she took the antibiotics. I'm not sure why I'd have had sex with her if I'd taken them and she hadn't - I think the real worry is that I reinfected her, because I was worried I reinfected myself after sex with the neighborgirl. But if the neighborgirl tested clean then I'm probably just worrying for nothing.

I'm going to just try to see if I can score more antibiotics for her because it's cheaper than retesting and I have to wait longer beforw I can retest.
    dude chlamydia is fairly common but it can be dangerous for a woman if left untreated and lead to infertility...

so no don't. you cannot treat it let a doctor do it. you also shouldn't take antibiotics without being prescribed it by a doctor...that is irresponsible...

dude chlamydia is fairly common but it can be dangerous for a woman if left untreated and lead to infertility...

so no don't. you cannot treat it let a doctor do it. you also shouldn't take antibiotics without being prescribed by a doctor...that is irresponsible...
    Last edited by eve.ashley; 19-04-15 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eve.ashley View Post

so no don't. you cannot treat it let a doctor do it. you also shouldn't take antibiotics without being prescribed it by a doctor...that is irresponsible...
    Did you not read what you quoted? A Dr. did prescribe it. It's the very same Dr. she goes to see for this. The Dr. specifically told me when I went to get retested that if my partner was reinfected I should get her antibiotics too.

I'm really leaning towards that I'm over thinking things. If the neighbor girl tested clean, I should be fine. I don't think I actually had sex with my ex until after she took antibiotics, in which case I have nothing to worry about, unless the neighborgirl retested using a swab (not offered at my Dr) too soon and she wasn't fully reinfected yet due to the incubation period. Just seems unlikely.

Also, if the neighborgirl was actually infected again, she'd probably have symptoms again since she noticed them the first time.
    Last edited by lolerskates; 19-04-15 at 01:45 AM.

Did you not read what you quoted? A Dr. did prescribe it. It's the very same Dr. she goes to see for this. The Dr. specifically told me when I went to get retested that if my partner was reinfected I should get her antibiotics too.

I'm really leaning towards that I'm over thinking things. If the neighbor girl tested clean, I should be fine. I don't think I actually had sex with my ex until after she took antibiotics, in which case I have nothing to worry about, unless the neighborgirl retested using a swab (not offered at my Dr) too soon and she wasn't fully reinfected yet due to the incubation period. Just seems unlikely.

Also, if the neighborgirl was actually infected again, she'd probably have symptoms again since she noticed them the first time.
    pardon, i meant to say, she shouldn't be taking another course of antibiotics until she gets tested for it again.

i must admit, you write in a very OCD manner, it's a bit painful to read, so i do skim through

have you tried seeking some counseling for OCD?

has anything traumatizing or very stressful happened to you lately? or ever?
    Last edited by eve.ashley; 19-04-15 at 03:08 AM.

And again, if she's to consider another course of antibiotics - this should be up to her to discuss with her doctor. It's not your call anymore.

All she needs from you is the truth. The whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Never f u c k around with ANY sexually transmitted disease O.P..

If there's even a slight possibility you gave one to your lady, You have got to tell her. If you don't, this will cosmically bite you on the ol cosmic arse. CHOMP CHOMP

Own it.

I let her give me oral once the other night,
    This is probably THE most inconsiderate and self-absorbed and irresponsible thing you could have done to her.

Do you know that you've now subjected her to the possibility of throat cancer.

Educate yourself about STD's, STI's and safe sex for fvck sakes. But, before you do that, re-read Woody's post and then do the right thing by this girl.

Stop reading bullshit from uneducated posters who haven't a clue what the hell they are talking about (eve.ashley) and you and your on again/off again sex partner of an ex girlfriend talk to someone at the clinic who can guide you correctly while knowing what the hell they're talking about.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 20-04-15 at 07:38 AM. Reason: typo
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

O.P

This STD can cause infertility in women. You do not want to be responsible for this risk do you?
    If you reverse the situation, you'd rather be told the truth than risk the possibility of not being able to reproduce.

You have no right to muck about with her reproductive organs.

Just man up and tell her

Ok, I'm not a doctor but I'm going to tell you this from a medical point as I have worked in health care over 10 years. 1.) Man up and tell her because if she does have chlamydia that could turn into pelvic inflammatory disease which could possibly make her sterile. 2.) stop relying on anti-biotics that a random doctor who doesn't know her medical history gave to you. If she's on a hormonal birth control (pills, IUDs, shot, ring, etc) then specific antibiotics could make the birth control ineffective. Not to mention any other drug. 3.) Taking too many antibiotics can eventually cause C-diff (very contagious btw) and if that happens you and her both will wish you had kept it in your pants 4.) use a condom and correctly so you likely won't have the problem again.