+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Why does this hurt me?

Why does this hurt me?

A few years ago I finally got with a friend of over 10 years.
    We told each other we loved one an other.
    Then his ex found out she was pregnant and to cut a long story short he had to support them and be a dad.
    Which I know was correct choice.
    3 years later and I've moved on and happy ..walking hand in hand with boyfriend yesterday and bump straight into him with partner and child and her child.
    He looked at me then looked at the floor.
    It hurts like hell how close we were and now I'm not even worth a hello or a smile..
    Did I mean that little ?

I doubt he feels that you aren't worth a hello. It's an awkward situation, maybe he it embarrassed. Maybe he still has feelings for you. Don't think about this too much and be happy with your bf.

Actually, if he had behaved casually like you were just acquaintances it would have meant you meant less and that he was in a better place in his mind about the whole situation.

Avoiding you... well he wouldn't actively avoid you unless the opposite was too hard for him.

It must be brutal, and I'm sorry you're going through that. Stuff like that will always hurt when you cared about someone, but don't diminish you own sense of self worth because he's afraid to acknowledge his pain.

Aren’t you a bit selfish here?
    Maybe it’s just hard for him seeing you because he just still likes you very much?

Believe me, I understand how you feel. ...But, honestly, the truth is who really cares why he did that? You've moved on. It is a shame it didn't work out for you two due to his situation, but you've moved on now. So, really, it doesn't matter.

As the others have said, though, I think it is highly unlikely you mean/meant so little to him. If you meant so little to him, he wouldn't have reacted the way he did. I think that is more a sign that maybe you DO still mean something to him, but he has to do what is right and be there for his family. Or AT LEAST that he still regrets how things ended between you two and feels bad about hurting you.

Bottom line, though, you've moved on. So, really, don't let it bother you one way or the other. Good luck to you.