+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girlfriend's sister does not approve of us. What do I do?

Girlfriend's sister does not approve of us. What do I do?

I have a big problem. My sister’s girlfriend dislikes me and doesn’t see me as a good match for her sister and does not approve of our relationship. My girl values her sister’s opinion, which is why it’s important for me to gain her nod of acceptance. I don’t know what to do with my situation.

To give a bit of a background, I met my girlfriend through LoveMe and we’ve been together for over six months now. I must say she’s a really good catch. She’s beautiful, smart, and really nice. Both her parents died when she was only a teen. Basically, her sister stepped up to be her parent and sister at the same time. However, they grew up together under the care of their grandmother. I think this is why she’s very protective of her.

She says her sister disapproves of us because of our age gap. She’s about six years my junior but we both don’t mind it, honestly. We plan on meeting each other really soon. I’ll visit her and we’ll go see places together.

The only thing holding me back is her sister. If only I can get her to like me before I go see her. What should I do so that her sister would change her mind about us? Is there anything I can say to convince her that my girlfriend and I are a good match?

Try to be nice to the sister, and prove that you are a worthy person to date the girl. If your gf values her sister's opinion more than you, then there's not a lot more you can do.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

How old are each of you? Six years doesn't sound like such a big gap... but that can depend on what STAGE of life you are both in. For example, 18 and 24 may be VERY different whereas 24 and 30 may not.

Bottom line, though, I'm sure her sister means well... but she really should butt out. Assuming there isn't some SOLID reason/reasons why she feels you two shouldn't be together, it really is none of her business. Thing is, apparently she doesn't see it that way. So, really, all you can do is to continue to be a good boyfriend. Also, continue to be as nice as you possibly can to the sister. With her making things difficult for you, it can be tempting to be nasty back. As best you can, avoid that. You don't have to let her walk all over you two. You CAN stick up for yourself/your relationship. But, as best you can, always do so constructively and with respect, even if her sister doesn't always treat you with respect.

In time, hopefully she will see that you are good for her sister and she will back off. If not, there may come a time when you and your gal have to politely tell her to knock it off (and perhaps even not so politely if things still do not improve), but hopefully given time it doesn't even have to come to that.

Good luck to you.