+ Follow This Topic

Thread: The Lottery by Shirley Jackson

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson

Not a Love Story.

This is a Short Story I remember reading in High School. If you havn't read it, you should.

I don't know how to set this story up... I found this summary on a website...

...Villagers gather together in the central square for the annual lottery. There is much excitement and interest as the rituals of the event proceed. The familiar discussion of current and everyday happenings in village life is intermingled with commentary on the traditional and modern ways of holding the lottery, as well as observation of the particularities of this year's proceedings. Finally a winning family is chosen by ballot, and from that family a winning member--Mrs. Hutchinson...

...I'll leave it at that, the rest is for you to read.

link to the story
    [url]http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lotry.html[/url]

once you've read it, here is a good follow up website
    [url]http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/lit-med/lit-med-db/webdocs/webdescrips/jackson315-des-.html[/url]

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh, I remember that short story from high school too, RSK. I remember it well because I remember how much it shocked me back then. Especially when you figured out what the 'lottery' really was for..........

Now I want to go read it again!
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

yeah, i was suprised too

indigosoul Guest
    There's a similar short story about a society that is required to pass an IQ test every year. Involves a young boy about to take said test. Big deal, big lead up, etc. just like The Lottery. The government administers this test to every child in their early teens or so, as I remember. You MUST pass, or else they come take you away. The crux of the story is that, to pass, you must actually FAIL. Implying that the government is selecting for members of society with low IQs.

Can't remember the author, unfortunately. Thought perhaps it was a Ray Bradbury story, but not sure. Maybe someone can help out??