+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: backwards situation

Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    Except for fixing the economy, getting a job, stopping abuse, etc...
    we still have better economy than most countries, more jobs and less abuse. this is a far better country to live in than Russia, Israel or Canada.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    we still have better economy than most countries, more jobs and less abuse. this is a far better country to live in than Russia, Israel or Canada.
    Oh, I know. I'd just rather the country get better instead of worse. Right now it's just getting worse.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Oh, I know. I'd just rather the country get better instead of worse. Right now it's just getting worse.
    it will get better in 2011, and then in 2012:

Poland will adopt a Euro

Olympics will be held in London

Presidential Elections in US, Mexico and South Korea will take place

the sun will reverse it's magnetic poles on December 21st and a doomsday will come.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

it will get better in 2011, and then in 2012:

Poland will adopt a Euro

Olympics will be held in London

Presidential Elections in US, Mexico and South Korea will take place

the sun will reverse it's magnetic poles on December 21st and a doomsday will come.
    Actually, I'm rather afraid for the elections in Mexico right now... Politically it's a grim situation there.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Give it a few months, Lite. It'll be okay.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I do not expect to see an upturn this year. Probably not until late 2010 at the earliest.

Well, I'll be optimistic enough for the both of us, then. We needed to make changes Unfortunately, they're turning out to be painful, but they still had to happen.

It's like America just hit puberty.
    Spammer Spanker

Well, I'll be optimistic enough for the both of us, then. We needed to make changes Unfortunately, they're turning out to be painful, but they still had to happen.

It's like America just hit puberty.
    Oh I know. I'm not despairing. Just very wary.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    of course if you start a study in Russia and pay them for it, they'll you anything you want to hear.
    About 60% of Russians rated the changes in their income and material circumstances after 1989 as ‘bad’ or ‘very bad’[/QUOTE]

She's right, Lite. Russian studies aren't exactly gold standard. No offense Dig. It's the social climate there, I understand. LOT of pressure to find something meaningful. Gov't funding doesn't reward honest, negative studies. Same in China, btw.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    About 60% of Russians rated the changes in their income and material circumstances after 1989 as ‘bad’ or ‘very bad’
    She's right, Lite. Russian studies aren't exactly gold standard. No offense Dig. It's the social climate there, I understand. LOT of pressure to find something meaningful. Gov't funding doesn't reward honest, negative studies. Same in China, btw.[/QUOTE]

Actually, these are studies by people from outside of Russia doing the research.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh, sorry Lite. I'll take a look at the links next time.

For Annoyed: I am a bit confused by your posts. What is it exactly you want from your SO? Are you wanting him to pull his share of the weight around the home, or are you wanting him to support you emotionally? Those are two very different things.

If you want him to pull his weight at home while he is looking for work, I would *strongly* suggest you sit down with him and draw up an actual, written (printed) schedule of daily responsibilities. Both for things around the home & job-search goals. This will help him to regain some focus, and give him some goals. This is something most males respond very favourably to. Guys LIKE having tangible targets to achieve and he will rest easier knowing that you will be happier if he is actually meeting these marks.

E.g. Monday: Clean kitchen and shop. Send out 3 resumes.
    Tuesday: clean bathroom and do laundry. Check job boards at xxx.

And so on. In my home, we also have a dinner schedule, which he should be able to manage. I calc'd once that it shouldn't take someone more than 4 hours a day to clean a home reasonably well. This leaves, for your average 8-hour shift, another 4 hours to take baby for a walk, make dinner, and spend an hour or so doing job search/followup & sending resumes.

Your getting cross with him at this point will not likely help anything. Sure, it might guilt him in to getting off his ass, but only at the cost of your relationship. Right now, with a small child to think of, and today's current economic difficulties, you need to be focussing on things that will help you become a stronger TEAM.

Yes, I'm sure he is mildly depressed about not finding work. Yes, that can tend to produce learned helplessness in ppl. Therefore, I am again really strongly going to suggest you work on a weekly schedule with him. Give him something to focus on and FEEL GOOD about once he completes the tasks. In fact, you should reward yourselves with something at the end of each successful week. It can be small--a lunch or coffee outing--if money is tight.

Yes, this will require a bit more energy from you to organize. But that is what being a good partner means.

Good luck.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I do not expect to see an upturn this year. Probably not until late 2010 at the earliest.
    I also agree it will take longer than a few months. I don't think things have hit bottom yet. But I do believe they will get better.

The way we think about it is: if it doesn't get better, we are going to have FAR worse things to worry about than whether our stocks are going to rebound.

I'm more concerned about things like global warming. Vancouver is having an absolutely disgusting winter. I only expect that much snow in place like Ontario. And South Australia is having heat waves worse than anything on record.

Ppl are worried about making a few extra bucks so they can gas up their SUVs and take a trip to Mexico. I'm worried about where we should live so that my kid's kids don't freeze or bake to death.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345