+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donating plasma. VASHTI HALP!

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    I knew I was working for something besides the social security I will never see. 401K's are the new piggy bank.

We talked about New Orleans and how big of a failure FEMA was in my poly sci class today Fras. I thought of you in a raft floating around a flooded city.
    Haha, I'm not a New Orleans resident, and was still at home in Philly when the storm wrecked the city.

I didn't get down here until March of '06.

Damn, that was so long ago...

Anyway, I hope it was clarified that FEMA's purpose is only really to manage the logistical side of a disaster. And while they did fail miserably, nobody was ready for what happened. Did they touch upon Mayor Nagin and Governor Kathleen Blanco?

New Orleans at that time had a "shelter of last resort", which was the superdome. There is no longer a shelter of last resort. You might also be happy to know that the evacuation for Gustav last year went very smoothly.

But after experiencing that for myself I have to say, I can understand why people stay. They live here, they want to protect their property, what they work for. And evacuating is expensive, and very stressing.

People were running out of gas during the contraflow (both lanes of the highway opened up). And gas stations everywhere were selling out. You better have food with you because all the stores will be closed.

Imagine driving miles without finding a drop a gas. And the gas you do find has a line 3 blocks long with police managing the traffic. People are stressed out and desperate. Suddenly you feel a little lax about gun control ideals.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    for less you can get a bunch of friends and take a road trip to get your bike.
    Yeah I was thinking about that, the problem is that between school and work I don't have time to go for an extended period. It would be like a 2 day trip max. I was thinking about doing it in 1 day, but I wouldn't be alert enough to do a 1000 mile round trip doing the return leg on a bike.

Worst case scenario I will just grab my roommate, get him a 24 pack of Dr. Pepper and my laptop with Diablo 2 and tell him to enjoy the next 6 hours because he's doing the second 6.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

yeah time is money and it takes time to get up there. probably wouldn't want to do in a day. can you take a day off work or work a trade a shift with somebody?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    yeah time is money and it takes time to get up there. probably wouldn't want to do in a day. can you take a day off work or work a trade a shift with somebody?
    I can be sick!

The Warmonger

I've donated blood... you get to watch tv and have the best damn cookies in the world... but you don't get paid for the blood.

Plasma on the other hand, they do pay you... but it's not a lot. It takes longer to donate... so I think the money is more for the inconvenience.

Btw... nature is full of ironies... my blood type is B+.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think your buddy is BSing you. Shave off about $100 and you're about right. According to some stuff I just read online you can generally donate plasma twice a week. Expect to earn around 20-30 dollars per donation, so around 50 extra bucks per week in exchange for something like 45-100 minutes of your time.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I'm not sure how healthy it is either. After talking to my dad who has donated like 12 gallons of blood, he was skeptical.

Taking bodily fluids out and filtering the helpful things out of them twice a week can't be healthy. Even at 22 and good physical condition, theres no way I can regenerate that fast.

I wish I was Wolverine......for a number of reasons, less the hair growth on overdrive.

Its strange, you put Vashti in the title and she doesn't pop in the whole day. You post something on facebook and shes on it in 10 minutes or less. What could she be up to?

The Warmonger

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    They take out clotting factors, albumin, immunoglobulins, and other proteins. It takes 2 days to regenerate the plasma taken out. It IS safe to donate, but you will probably ruin your veins if you do it too often. That makes it more difficult to gain IV access when you need it... not especially serious, but annoying. i think each donation takes a couple of hours, and I have no idea how much it pays (if anything).

They use plasma to treat immunosuppressed people, hemophiliacs, burn patients, and other problems.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    I've donated blood... you get to watch tv and have the best damn cookies in the world... but you don't get paid for the blood.

Plasma on the other hand, they do pay you... but it's not a lot. It takes longer to donate... so I think the money is more for the inconvenience.

Btw... nature is full of ironies... my blood type is B+.
    Okay, out of my depth here. In my day we used to get serum (different from plasma?) by just spinning out the cells from whole blood.

Seems a lot easier to me. Why go through this whole long process? Is it b/c you can do it more often? Sounds like they run your blood through a dialysis machine or something?

Curious & too lazy to look it up. Help?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Screwing up my BEAUTIFUL veins is not something I am keen on. No amount of money is worth irreversible damage to my body. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Easy choice.

The Warmonger

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    why not try wacking off for cash?? it's both fun and a money maker...

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    Screwing up my BEAUTIFUL veins is not something I am keen on. No amount of money is worth irreversible damage to my body. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Easy choice.
    They will be less beautiful as you age, anyway. There isn't anything wrong with donating plasma... it's a very good thing to do; it saves lives. I just wouldn't do it as a primary source of income.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hey, sperm donation doesn't have to be confined to the doctor's office. You can do it in cheap hotel rooms and make even more scratch.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12