+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Less intelligent girlfriend

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by oneandonly View Post
    My 'Reply With Quote' didn't work again - annoying!
    Dummy.

hahahah! just kidding.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Everyone's idea of what intelligence is differs. My rule of thumb is that if you can't have a conversation that requires any thought, then it's not going to work. For some people a stimulating conversation may involve quantum physics. For some, it could be Nascar. As long as they're on the same level.

I've never dated a dumb man because I don't attract them, or if they hit on me I blow them off. I won't date anyone with no education, or less than me.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

i just wanted to post here that i have been in a relationship with someone who i felt was less intelligent than me. and looking back on it (yes he's my ex) i can say that it had it's happy times. obviously it wasn't so great in the long run, but i don't think intelligence had anything to do with us breaking up. we met when i was leaving for college and he was a year older than me and was going to county (didn't take school too seriously). i think the reason i started dating him was because he was unlike any guy i had met before. he was pretty artistic. he had this kind of spiritual side to him too. but when it came to school he just was not into it at all. i'm the complete opposite, i love learning new things, sounds weird but i think it would be so cool to just earn degrees for a living. besides for that dork side of me, i LOVE music and he wrote his own songs. get this though, he was a rapper and produced his own beats. a white, jewish boy from a pretty affluent area. he had even had issues with stuttering when he was little, but rapping help him get over that hump. i thought he was very talented and determined...didn't let what he was born with or where he came from prevent him from doing something he really loved, so i really respected that about him. in the end, we weren't meshing in a bunch of other aspects of the relationship, i just didn't see myself living the rest of my life with him and i ended up moving on.

as far as the intelligence issue goes...i think it's all a matter of perspective. he wasn't book-smart but he had a decent amount of common sense and i really appreciated his view of living, he brought a lot of inspiration into my life i suppose...even though i had a lot more knowledge in academics, he definitely taught me a thing or two about appreciating life and reaching for dreams. so i think there is a possibility that you could find that in someone who might be "less intelligent" than you. you have to find that thing that the person has to offer...what attracted you to them in the first place. you have to figure out exactly what it is you want/need from your partner. lay out the positives and the negatives. but i definitely wouldn't dump someone just because i felt they were dumber than me. people who have a decent amount of knowledge in academia tend to get a little ahead of themselves too and create extremely high demands of their partners. i find that my bf can be like that sometimes. he's a complete computer geek and his way of thinking is just completely different than mine. so if i go about solving a problem differently than he does, he tends to think that the difference is because i'm not as smart...which can be annoying...but i do agree that having that type of person there to challenge me intellectually is something that invigorates me a bit. but then again i'm not in engineering, which i assume takes a lot of brain power, so if coming home to something a lot less upbeat is what helps you relax and be at peace, then maybe it's best for your way of life. that's why i say it's all perspective, it all depends on what works best for you.
    the love you take is equal to the love you make

Quote Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
    They were nice guys, but we had nothing to talk about. After realizing that I was doing all of the talking and they would reply with simple, one word responses, I would grow bored and move on.
    Reminds me of when I'd visit a chat and flirt site and I'd get guys mail me. There were some really good looking guys, who couldn't even put a sentence together and whose conversation was so boring, I'd sharp lose interest. Some of them just could not hold a conversation. Looks aint enough, there has to be more and I need someone on the same level as me, who likes to converse. My last ex wasn't Einstein, but god that man could talk for England about everything and anything and that is what I'd liked about him. Whatever subject I brought up, he had an opinion about it or he'd enquire about it. Same as if he mentioned things I wasn't familiar with, like his religion. He'd talk, I'd listen and ask questions and then offer opinions. I never grew bored with him...

But the last guy I knew...well all I gotta say is ZZZzzzz. Yet another who didn't have a great lot to say about anything. I'd say things, he'd just change the subject and talk about stupid things. Course I got bored and that was the end of that.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm always the dumb one in the relationship.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I'm always the dumb one in the relationship.
    I like them to think that, too.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123