+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Did I ruin my first (ever) date?

Did I ruin my first (ever) date?

I went on my first date today and I think I blew it up.

I am a 22 years old kissless male virgin. A girl I met sent me a message on FB asking me if I wanted to meet for coffee. I showed up on time at Starbucks and took her to another place where we had sandwiches and coffee.

I could find anything to discuss. I asked her a couple of questions about herself (where she comes from, her degree, where she spent her vacation, etc.) but she didn't say much. We ended up discussing the Egyptian revolution, some general shit about life and crap like that. We reached a point where we were silent for a few seconds and I asked her what she had on her mind and we went back to discussing shit about life.

After 1.5 hours I looked at my watch and told her I had to go. She gave me a hug and I ran off without accompanying her out of the place.

I felt uneasy during and after the date. I am still feeling uncomfortable.

My questions to you are the following:
    1. what were mistakes? what should I avoid in the future?
    2. why am I feeling uneasy? does it wear off eventually?
    3. I haven't decided yet whether I want to see her again or not. Still, what should I do now? Should I text her? fyi, I left her three hours ago.
    Last edited by Diablo88; 20-02-11 at 02:01 AM.

You did nothing wrong. You just didn't "click". You have to keep trying til you find someone you feel at ease with and the conversation flows for hours......then you got a hit.

1. You did nothing wrong, just like smackie9 said, you just didn't "click", you can always give it another go but since I don't know anything about how you feel about each other, I'm going to assume that neither is really that interested, so..
    2. Perhaps because the date didn't go as you've expected it to go, you'll get over it
    3. If you like her, I say why not ? If you're not interested in her and only went out with her because she came up with the idea, why bother ?

Just take note, you have more experience than I do when it comes do dating, so don't take my words as the ultimate truth, it's an opinion

Your first dating experience can be nerve wracking, especially when your not used to sitting and talking with a woman in a possibly sexual situation. Sounds like you did incredibly well if you managed to keep the conversation going for an hour and a half.

It will get easier and more relaxed the more you do it And as the other posters said, you will run across women who you have a better connection with and it's easier to talk to.

You did nothing wrong, you just didn't click. It's happened to me before. No big deal. Try again with a new girl. I find that if my sense of humor is not close to the girl's, then we will probably not click. That seems to be a common theme for me.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Dating is about getting experience, and since you have none, everything is in the right direction.

The only change I would make it don't keep it going so long, I always end coffee dates at a maximum 1 hour, but 30 minutes is optimum. I then schedule a dinner date after that if I felt things were going well.

***Scrap my post, this thread is 9 months old. Where did you dig this up Bulrush?
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

You did nothing wrong. Dating is nerve-racking, especially when you start out.

I too had my first date (and kiss) in my early 20's, I was nervous as hell, over-thought every action I made, thing I said. My best suggestion is to relax (easier said than done).

Still, 10 years later first dates are not easy.

Sounds like you dug too deep... you just gotta roll on a date, esp a first... just act like a friend.. talk dont ask

Wow. I don't know what happened. This thread was on the first page of threads, so I answered it. Weird.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)