Thread: Don't want to ruin the friendship

Don't want to ruin the friendship

To avoid confusion, I'm assigning each involved person with a letter:
    person a - my brother (16)
    person b- friend (girl, 16)
    person c - friend (girl, 19)

Person b and c are sisters.

And I'm 19 and a boy.

So me and my brother (person a) met these sisters (persons b and c) when we were very young. Since then our parents have become close and they are basically family friends. We don't see each other often (maybe once or twice a year). But we live close together and when we do see each other its as if we see each other every day.

I like person b. When I see her, I get vibes that she might like me. But, then again that could be all in my head, so I really don't know. I want her to be my girlfriend, but I don't want to risk ruining the friendship if she doesn't like me back.

I've thought of talking to her sister (person c) over instant message and asking if her sister (person b) likes me. Would it be weird if I did this? How would I go about asking her? What would I say? The only way I can really communicate with them is by facebook or instant message.

I also want to add that I'm away at college. I could see her when I visit home, and she could also come to visit me.

Thanks for any help.

I think you should actually try COMMUNING with B for starters because asking through her sister is cowardly
    you need to talk to her a bit more and get closer to her and you better do it when you're actually together
    that way if she rejects you then you can exchange your true feelings with each other instead of reading
    feelings through a piece of technology. You guys have been friends with these sisters for a loong time
    just think are you willing to jeopardise the friendship you already have with one of them? It is also more
    respective telling her in person, respectful to her

Sapphire x

I see what you're saying, but I wouldn't be going to person c to ask out person b through her. I would just be asking c if b likes me. B and c are very close so I'm sure she would know. I just want to be cautious so I don't risk making things awkward. If I find out from c that b wouldn't be opposed to the idea of dating me, I would then go to b with my feelings.

Thanks for the reply.

You should ask a to ask c to ask b if she likes you. That way your brother won't feel excluded from the silliness.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I wouldn't allow a 16 year old to date a college boy, so I think you should ask yourself how her parents would feel about this. If you pursue anything against their wishes, you could ruin relations between entire families.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

16 and 19? i always thought that maturity levels would be significantly different between these 2 ages. it'd be a bit weird i think.
    They called us a dead generation,
    They told us that we wouldn't survive
    They left us alone in the maelstrom
    As you can see we're all clearly alive.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkitkitty View Post
    16 and 19? i always thought that maturity levels would be significantly different between these 2 ages. it'd be a bit weird i think.
    The typical 16 year-old girl is probably about as mature as the typical 19 year-old guy.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    The typical 16 year-old girl is probably about as mature as the typical 19 year-old guy.
    Except with regards to sexual maturity, I agree.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

fair enough. but still, when i was 16 i still would've felt a lot younger than him. each to their own i guess.
    They called us a dead generation,
    They told us that we wouldn't survive
    They left us alone in the maelstrom
    As you can see we're all clearly alive.

I really don't think her parents would mind. They've known me since I was 7 years old. Also, I'm not the typical college student. I'm pretty shy, and I don't party at all. I think that she's just as mature as I am, when we're together all four of us act like we're all the same age.

Do you still think it's cowardly to talk to her sister first. I would ask her not to tell her sister that we talked first. I'm sure that she'd honor my request.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ask her parents first. You don't want to end up in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by ec59 View Post
    Do you still think it's cowardly to talk to her sister first. I would ask her not to tell her sister that we talked first. I'm sure that she'd honor my request.
    What if C doesn't know, and decides to just ask B? Or if C doesn't ask B, and misinterprets how B feels about you? Or maybe C is also interested in you, and causes problems for B and you? I really think that you would be better off talking directly to B.