+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Odd situation

Odd situation

Not sure what other forum to post this in so feel free to move it if needed.

Here's the problem... when my wife got her driving permit at 18 her parents put the family car in her name until they sold it. When they sold it, they didn't return the plates to the DMV. Now, she owes like $5500 to the DMV because of some "insurance lapse" fine. Since her family is poor and she doesn't work...I'm stuck paying for all of this. Am I wrong in thinking this is total b/s and thinking this is unfair? She's basically saying "my brother can't go to college if they have to pay a lot, they can only pay what extra money they have" which is like 20 bucks here and there which ratioed to the total fine, is nothing. The really annoying thing about this is I FINALLY paid off a big credit card debt, now I get this dumped in my lap.
    Last edited by faze; 10-05-12 at 02:24 AM.

Faze, you are correct. This isn't for you to pay and your wife should work some additional time in order to cover this fine. Some countries have huge fines for not returning license plates, but they also send out notifications to the most recent address on that plate that they are due for return pending fine. The insurance lapse penalty is because if the plate isn't returned, the DMV will assume you're still driving with lapsed insurance until the plates are returned or reported lost.

It is INCREDIBLY irresponsible to not return these plates, and you should not pay for this failure to act on your wifes/families part. If I were you and required to pay, I'd get it in writing that you're doing it with the intent of being re-imbursed by the family (at $20 at a time if necessary) and that way if the marriage goes south, you can make a legal claim that they owe you a sum of money.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Quote Originally Posted by Cerby View Post
    Faze, you are correct. This isn't for you to pay and your wife should work some additional time in order to cover this fine. Some countries have huge fines for not returning license plates, but they also send out notifications to the most recent address on that plate that they are due for return pending fine. The insurance lapse penalty is because if the plate isn't returned, the DMV will assume you're still driving with lapsed insurance until the plates are returned or reported lost.

It is INCREDIBLY irresponsible to not return these plates, and you should not pay for this failure to act on your wifes/families part. If I were you and required to pay, I'd get it in writing that you're doing it with the intent of being re-imbursed by the family (at $20 at a time if necessary) and that way if the marriage goes south, you can make a legal claim that they owe you a sum of money.
    We never got any letters. They sent them to her parents house but I never heard anything about it. They said the DMV doesn't forward mail in Maryland so it probably got sent back. We had no idea about this until our taxes for this past year were intercepted by the state (thankfully only the state refund).

Can't they just say the car was sold and make this go away?

As far as I know, you cannot. You can of course call them and beg them, but I don't think it would work. I found the page that outlines the fine for your state:

[url]http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Vehicle-Services/INSURANCE/uninsured.htm[/url]

She was basically classified as an uninsured motorist, and the really scary part is if someone was in an accident with these old plates, SHE would be found liable as the last owner of record for the plates/vehicle. I'm not from Maryland, but I know where I'm from if you transfer a vehicle, they ask for the plates back upon transferance in order to avoid fines.

I don't think you can get away from this, and they will likely take you to collections if you don't pay it back. You need to have you wife make this money back as its not fair to you, but since you're married you're probably legally on the hook somehow. Unless she is physically unable to work, its time to ask her to get a job.

Well it was discovered that the car was insured so tomorrow morning we just have to get the paper work from the MVA...but it's still annoying to me that because her family is poor, I would have been stuck with this 6000 dollar bill that was ultimately their fault, since it was their car. They put it in her name as something fun for her for getting her permit, which was also irresponsible.

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by faze View Post
    Well it was discovered that the car was insured so tomorrow morning we just have to get the paper work from the MVA...but it's still annoying to me that because her family is poor, I would have been stuck with this 6000 dollar bill that was ultimately their fault, since it was their car. They put it in her name as something fun for her for getting her permit, which was also irresponsible.
    Perhaps, but thats just secondary blame. The person who has the car in their name bears the responsibility of ensure that everything is done correctly at point of sale. The relevant point is that you shouldn't pay, and you should find a way to get re-imbursed. Is there a reason why your wife doesn't work?

I think I can learn to join you slowly.

You need to do a little research because there's no possible way you owe that money and they cant legally hold it to you.