+ Follow This Topic
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: State of Arizona Passes Law to Check Immigration Status

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    oh, no way! I don't really even like the idea of having a housekeeper at all. We never had one until I started working, and we got her because no one wants to help me with the heavy cleaning, and I refuse to do it all myself.
    That's why I had one too, back when I did. My ex was too lazy to even dustmop the floor once a week. My cleaning lady made about $20 an hour and she was worth it.
    Spammer Spanker

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    That's why I had one too, back when I did. My ex was too lazy to even dustmop the floor once a week. My cleaning lady made about $20 an hour and she was worth it.
    Mine charges $80 per visit, regardless of how much work there is to do. I don't mind. She is loyal and I would leave her with the keys to my house. Besides, I like listening to her stories about her no-good ex husband back in Guatemala.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Same here. $20/hour is not overpaying. Especially if she's only there parttime, Vash. My housekeeper gets that, and she's here a lot more than EOW.

Every doesn't pay illegals to scale, Frasbee. That's part of my point. Only bleeding heart liberals like my parents do that. I was trying to make it clear that not everyone in the upper-middle class is a selfish elitist.

My dad doesn't really like his job. American generals suck ass to work for. He keeps doing it because he thinks it is his responsibility to support my sister and I until we complete our educations. He is willing to go deeper into debt to do that.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Same here. $20/hour is not overpaying. Especially if she's only there parttime, Vash. My housekeeper gets that, and she's here a lot more than EOW.
    lol - do you know a lot of unskilled workers making $20 an hour? They don't where I live. If she worked for an agency, she's be making less than half that. Even the monitor techs that work at the hospital monitoring heart rhythms only make $12 an hour.
    Last edited by vashti; 08-05-10 at 06:33 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

My mother made more than $20/h when she was a scrub nurse. I have no idea how much she makes now though, as a CN.

Most unskilled workers around here make somewhere between $7-15. Usually on the lower end of that.. construction workers here tend to make around $10-12. Techs and other hospital staff usually make around $10/h here. I guess that suffices in a place where a nice big house only cost $40k-60k.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    My mother made more than $20/h when she was a scrub nurse. I have no idea how much she makes now though, as a CN.

Most unskilled workers around here make somewhere between $7-15. Usually on the lower end of that.. construction workers here tend to make around $10-12. Techs and other hospital staff usually make around $10/h here. I guess that suffices in a place where a nice big house only cost $40k-60k.
    Your mom is a nurse? Is she a registered nurse, or a licensed vocational nurse? What's a CN?

Licensed vocational. I guess CN is another word for it. She went to nursing school and stuff back in the 80s. Always been a nurse. When I was little she worked 3 jobs as a nurse.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post

What constitutes as a "construction worker"?

As far as I know, electricians, pipe fitters, hvac, and any kind of specialized service tend to make twice or three times as much more than your construction laborer.

Road construction and building trades/carpentry.
    Of course they make much more when they are certified, especially in your line of work, but Vashti and Indi are referring to uncertified/unskilled workers.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    lol - do you know a lot of unskilled workers making $20 an hour? They don't where I live. If she worked for an agency, she's be making less than half that. Even the monitor techs that work at the hospital monitoring heart rhythms only make $12 an hour.
    The going rate for an unskilled maid here is $14, Vash, with a very high turnover at that rate. Yes, if she worked for an agency she'd make less, this is true. I suppose you should be grateful then for all the unskilled labour that is around you. My housekeeper is also not unskilled, she is a Brit and well-trained. She can look after children and cook as well.

As for hospital techs, that is obscene. An ultrasound tech here makes $28-35 an hour (you can job search this to check). But Vancouver also rated the most expensive city in the world to live this year.

I think there are both skilled and unskilled construction workers on a site. There are some aspects anyone can do (carry those bricks over here, please) and others that require more knowledge (which pipes do we connect to not make the plumbing explode). My experience has been that illegals take the unskilled positions, for straight-forward reasons.

i have a major problem with making things illegal. being illegal does not mean that the illegal action does not happen. it means more lives are destroyed, more people in prisons, more money being spent, more crime, etc. seems as though people who make laws give little thought to how they will be carried out and the expense executing them will be. in fact this whole problem of violence on the border is a direct result of drugs being illegal. our government is by no means opposed to cheap labor.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

12$/hour is a lot for an "unskilled laborer".. I know people with university postgrades here who make little more than that...

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i have a major problem with making things illegal. being illegal does not mean that the illegal action does not happen. it means more lives are destroyed, more people in prisons, more money being spent, more crime, etc. seems as though people who make laws give little thought to how they will be carried out and the expense executing them will be. in fact this whole problem of violence on the border is a direct result of drugs being illegal. our government is by no means opposed to cheap labor.
    I have a huge problem with it, too. The government controls too many aspects of our lives. All they are supposed to do is provide a certain level of security and protection and THAT'S IT! There are too many ridiculous laws and fines and punishments. And there is too much corruption to justify any of that. Seatbelt law - ****ing ridiculous. I should have every right to not wear my seatbelt if I feel like windshield diving, and not be fined for that. Drug laws - just as ridiculous - if you want to coagulate your brain cells with a bong, you should be able to do that. And this all serves justice?! Pfft, justice is just that orgasmic, climactic point in the insatiable pursuit of vengeance. There's no such thing as retribution - only what might appease.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast