+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Both of my roommates bikes were stolen.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ugh. Sucks. You've got to live as though everyone around you is a thief, a rapist, and a killer. Enough of them are at least one of the above that it's simply imprudent to live otherwise. Always watch your back. Always secure your valuables. Always keep your door locked.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

^^wow then you really are a prisoner. and it's all in your mind. so what.. his bike got stolen. if you live like everyone around you is a potential crimminal then what kind of life will you have. a life of anxiety. maybe that's why so many people are on drugs these days.

it amazed me even with the current climate here with unemployment and the media spewing that crime and house breaks are up, i left my keys in the door overnight with a bag full of food and dvd's outside my door, only to find them the next day (i had completely forgotten they were even missing). i live right on a busy road with people and traffic going by the side of the house. maybe you should have a little faith in humanity

i remember another time when i was in the US, i dropped 500 bucks in a shop and discovered it missing and a teenage spanish looking boy came up to me and handed it back to me saying he found it on the ground and looked up and saw me having a hissy fit. there are so many lucky and wonderful things that have happened thru human goodness that i truly do have faith in humanity.

fearing everyone is the road to nowhere and i've been down that ridiculous road, it's stupid.
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 04-08-09 at 10:24 PM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What kind of life will I have? I don't know. However, I do know what kind of life I won't have. That of a victim.

I don't live in fear. I live in a state of caution and preparedness. Unfortunately it is naive and foolish to live any other way.
    Last edited by Gribble; 05-08-09 at 12:02 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

^^our house was broken into years ago and the place was wrecked. we weren't there. i looked at it and thought well it's just stuff. my parents got robbed with guys with spray one time when they were driving to the bank. they didn't care about the money. they still drive freely around to the bank. these events altho upsetting didn't make their lives or mine any different. they and i were victims for 5 mins of life but then life moves on. freedom is way more important than letting fear take over. and it is fear thinking you are surrounded by crimminals and locking yourself up in your own personal prison with all your things locked and bolted, they are just things at the end of the day, there is caution and then there is OTT paranoia which you seemed to descibe earlier. i guess you worry when you walk down the street too. also you can't guarantee you will never be a victim of crime.

most crimes are committed by someone the victim knows (that might you more para or make you realise we have no control if someone wants to make you a victim, they will, therefore enjoy the freedom you have)
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 05-08-09 at 12:47 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Ugh. Sucks. You've got to live as though everyone around you is a thief, a rapist, and a killer. Enough of them are at least one of the above that it's simply imprudent to live otherwise. Always watch your back. Always secure your valuables. Always keep your door locked.
    And if you can't live without it, it stays on your person and you must die before they get it.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Will you stop putting words in my mouth, Eco? Jesus ****ing Christ.

Living cautiously and being perceptive of one's surroundings is a far cry from living in seclusion with the doors bolted and a shotgun at the ready.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

that's your quote not mine, i ain't puttin words in your mouth. anyway, i read somewhere we are safer now than we've ever been in history.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Will you stop putting words in my mouth, Eco? Jesus ****ing Christ.

Living cautiously and being perceptive of one's surroundings is a far cry from living in seclusion with the doors bolted and a shotgun at the ready.
    -lowers shotgun-

Could've used that clarification earlier...

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    See, I dunno. I have insurance; I don't worry about this stuff. If shit happens, well, I'm covered, aside from the inconvenience, which you will have regardless. You can't stop people from being people. Shrug.

I agree about keeping an eye on your things, tho. We've had stuff walk out of *offices* at work (a webcam). The theft rate at colleges and uni is actually pretty high.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12