+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smart or not too smart??

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeminole View Post
    Initials says:

"I've got an IQ of somewhere between 140 and 150"

no, you don't. Trust me.
    She might do ,,this is the internet ,,with stephen hawkin as the smartest man with an IQ of 247 I think it was , tis not entirely implausible

Although IQ tests online are completely unreliable as a source of data
    "Nobody , so long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life , is without trouble. Carl jung

Oh thanks, that's really nice NeoSeminole. Do I even know you, apart from this and maybe a few other posts?

I know where you're coming from, but... Seriously, you don't know.

gartlas says:

"She might do ,,this is the internet ,,with stephen hawkin as the smartest man with an IQ of 247 I think it was , tis not entirely implausible"

where did you read this? As far as I'm aware, anything over 180 is speculation. Leonardo da Vinci is estimated to have the highest IQ in history with an IQ of 220.

I don't remember the source ,might be my imagination getting it wrong but I thought 180 was the MENSA boundary for genius , as in you must exceed 180 ,,if you can prove it wrong please post links , the whole IQ thing is a grey area as it is
    "Nobody , so long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life , is without trouble. Carl jung

Initials says:

"Oh thanks, that's really nice NeoSeminole. Do I even know you, apart from this and maybe a few other posts?

I know where you're coming from, but... Seriously, you don't know."

I don't need to know you. Your claim is like saying "I can bench 700 lbs." Anyone who knows about IQ knows how rare anything over 140 is.

gartlas says:

"I don't remember the source ,might be my imagination getting it wrong but I thought 180 was the MENSA boundary for genius , as in you must exceed 180 ,,if you can prove it wrong please post links , the whole IQ thing is a grey area as it is."

genius starts at an IQ of 140

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeminole View Post

I don't need to know you. Your claim is like saying "I can bench 700 lbs." Anyone who knows about IQ knows how rare anything over 140 is.
    Thats mostly speculation , many people have different idea's about IQ,,the only consensus you'll find is that the average is somewhere around 100

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I thought Hawkings score was around 160? Do you mean a Mensa test score, Gartlas?

I think Prof Hawking also once commented in an interview about IQ boasting being for losers (he's got a very acerbic humor, actually).
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I thought Hawkings score was around 160? Do you mean a Mensa test score, Gartlas?

I think Prof Hawking also once commented in an interview about IQ boasting being for losers (he's got a very acerbic humor, actually).
    I know ,I've watched some interviews and he makes a few jokes in a brief history of time.

As for whether it was MENSA or not Im trying to remember ,,to be honest its 6am , I've been back from a party a few hours and Im still a teensy bit high >.< ,,I might remember tommorow

I wasn't trying to boast. I was trying to make a point. That intelligence makes more of a difference when it's lower than when it's higher. Maybe I shouldn't have posted specifics, but I didn't really want to seem like I was talking without experience.

For the record, here's what Mensa has to say about the issue:

"The term "IQ score" is widely used but poorly defined. There are a large number of tests with different scales. The result on one test of 132 can be the same as a score 148 on another test. Some intelligence tests don't use IQ scores at all. Mensa has set a percentile as cutoff to avoid this confusion. Candidates for membership in Mensa must achieve a score at or above the 98th percentile on a standard test of intelligence (a score that is greater than or equal to that achieved by 98 percent of the general population taking the test)."

I can't really prove to you anything about my intelligence, but on such tests that determine things based on percentile, I've scored generally around 99th percentile.

Again, for all you know, I could be lying. Who knows? I don't really care if you believe me. I know my life better than you do.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Aren't you the fellow who likes animals and nearly suicided a few years ago?

Yea, you could be high-IQ. The tests tend to select for people who are 'differently clued'. Like I said in my post about academics.

Anyway, I posted an answer to your question about complimentary intellect to put the thread back on track. Are you going to reply or did you want to continue to argue your unprovable IQ over the internet?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I'd be happy to have the thread back on track. I feel bad I even got it off track in the first place. I didn't mean to.

Now, back on topic, complimentary intellect is nice, yes. I talked with my Grandparents quite a lot when I lived closer to them, because they both have different intellect types than me.

It's nice conversing with someone of a similar intellect type, but, your point about getting enough of that during your career is very true.
    Last edited by Initials; 25-10-09 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Horrible redundancy

wats happening here

i wonder if you knew what is in my mind

IMPORTANT TIPS ON MONEY
    • The higher you rise financially, the bigger the temptation.
    • Husband and wife should be equal partners, don’t compete (run your finances jointly)
    • Have a family financial vision and set a plan for achieving that vision.

SMART! And smart doesn't mean you have every country memorized. It doesn't mean that you can do statistics in 4 minutes or get a perfect on the SAT. It just means you can critically think and have stimulating conversations (for me). Looks fade, brains are forever (until you get dementia or something, har har).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12