+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new girlfriend is really rich. I am not. What do I get her for Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    You will probably encounter a poster named doppeldisteinjude there.
    Ich habe im richtigen Leben einen judischen Namen, so es wäre richtiger als "Nigger"

NLL is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Maybe something that is really important and valuable for you. She will appreciate that.
    You have to choose something with care. That's what girls want

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Ich habe im richtigen Leben einen judischen Namen, so es wäre richtiger als "Nigger"
    It's so weird, I have been making some really lucky guesses lately. I should buy a lottery ticket.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Thank you to all who have written. It is very kind of you to help me out. And some of you that wrote so much, I really appreciate your insight, particularly the ladies that answered.

I really like how everyone immediately jumped to have me make something for her, or cook her dinner etc. I did do a culinary apprenticeship throughout Europe for 4 years, and worked in Restaurants for 15 years. But I've cooked for her so many times, and made so many fantastic things for her to eat... using that AS my Christmas present is a little redundant somehow. Also, we will be spending Christmas at my parent's house this year... so a romantic sit down dinner for two, well just isn't possible.

Maybe this will help. I'm going to list off some of her passions.

Architecture - Her grandmother was an Architect, and she sells high end historic real estate. So she has a million books on Architecture; something that I know nothing about. I know I don't want to get her just another book on buildings. So if someone could think of something Architectural that isn't just another book, that would be fantastic!

Fashion - She is by far and away the most fashion oriented person I've ever met. Besides just knowing all the top designers from Paris, Milan, NY, London etc. she takes her clothing to a very philosophical level. This is hard for me to describe, because I am from a T-shirt and jeans mentality of function first, and if it looks good... cool. But she really has to have her outside reflect how she feels on the inside. For example, if she's going to the wharf for cocktails and to watch the boats come in and out, she would simply feel awkward and wrong if she were not wearing a nautical sweater and the appropriate dock shoes. But again, I know nothing about fashion, and even if I did... she took the price tag off of a VERY simple shirt that she wore last time I was with her, and I looked at it when she was in the bathroom... $178 for a SHIRT!!!!! My entire outfit, including shoes, wasn't $100. So, if I do something fashion oriented, it would have to deal more with the theoretical side of fashion than me actually buying her some clothes.

Food - She is an absolute foodie; a consummate gourmet. She loves truffle oil, buffalo mozzarella, artisan breads, mustards, olives, pickles, preserves, etc. She is an excellent cook. EXCELLENT!!! And I taught cooking classes for 5 years, so I know good, and she's good. But she has already told me with a firm resolve... NO KITCHEN EQUIPMENT!!! And I'm glad. Because there is nothing romantic about a pepper mill.

So does this help?

Is there an event that you could take her to - something she has never done before like a ride in a hot air baloon - you get the idea. But if she truly cares for you then being together should the only present she needs. Good luck. And if you're passing by come and cook for me because I love eating!

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I agree - I'd skip the gift and go with an experience she hasn't had before. You won't be able to compete with whatever she's had before, so don't bother trying. Get her tickets to something, or plan a rock climbing trip or ski day, or something like that.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

PERFECT!!!

She has always wanted to go to a fancy horse race like the Kentucky Derby, the Carolina Cup, or the Atlanta Steeple Chase.

That would be perfect! I have NO IDEA how to go about getting tickets to the Kentucky Derby though. Hmmm... but that puts me on a very good path. Thanks everyone!!!

at first, i think You should talk to her, that You don't have so much money to spending time in that kind of places. She should understand Your situation, if she will not, then You shoud think more about Yours relationship.
    But if You are sure that she loves You, buy her something normal like earrings.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Get her a card write something special in it and take her our for a lovely evening that invloves not much more than her favorite bottle of wine.

*DO* something special don't *GET* her anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12