+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping = bat shit retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Heratriumphant View Post
    Around here servers make less than $4 an hour. Tipped labor is exempt from normal minimum wage. So yes I tip and I don't bitch about it.
    Have you stopped to think about how much they actually take home when tips are considered ? The $4 an hour is really irrelevant, that is why it is only $4 an hour, because they work for TIPs and make a lot of money doing it.

Think about it... say you sell $500 worth of stuff in 3 hours, thats $100 bucks in your pocket tax free for 3 hours work.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Servers typically get paid much less than minimum wage. They rely on tips to make up the difference.

Since many people in those jobs are there b/c they can't get better (lack of education), or are putting themselves through school, I don't mind paying the extra. Sometimes, you get a really good server who actually enhances the dining experience. I always reward those people.

If its an upscale restaurant, the gratuity is added to the bill automatically. If you don't like it, don't go. If you cheap out and you go regularly, they WILL remember & your service (and possibly food) will suffer accordingly.

I also tip my stylist. Its her job to make me look good, and I figure that's worth a bit extra.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't mind tipping waiters/waitresses. They work hard, I think, for (usually) not much money, and have to deal with lots of creepy people.

I only object to the tip jars. However, I still put a damn tip in there, even though I don't believe I should.

If we replaced "waitress" with "hooker" in this thread, would you still not tip?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Do hookers get tipped?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    This is the lamest argument.

Sure, some waiters make relatively decent money, but that isn't the norm. Depending on the venue they may rake in a couple hundred one night and squat the next. For what it is--uneducated labor--pay ain't that bad. If you have a problem tipping your waiters just think of it this way: if you didn't tip them their pay would be higher. Who do you think would foot that bill?

You.

So either your dinner costs $20 and you drop a $3 tip or it costs $23 and you don't drop a tip. Please, use your goddamn minds for once. The only difference is you're given the opportunity to punish or reward your server based on service--oh, and there's no incentive for your server to go the extra mile. One way or another, he rakes in the same pay. So who gives a **** if you have to wait a little longer or if your food is cold?
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Exactly. And this is why upscale places can get away with adding the gratuity to the bill. Because if the service sucks and the patrons complain, that server is gone. High-end places rely on reputation, referral and repeat business, so the server better not f-up.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by BoredGeorge View Post
    Why would it be hard ? I had to serve assholes like you that think they're better than everyone else ?

You take the order... you drop off the food...
    Or I could save it, and spend it on a hooker who is HOTTER than you are.
    Why would it be hard? Listen to yourself. That's how. I should note that assholes like you don't get clean food from time to time. I might not have spit, dropped it on the floor picked it up and served it but I've certainly seen it.

And taking and order and bringing it is hardly the extend of my work.

I never once claimed to be hotter than a late night sleezy hooker.

Quote Originally Posted by ransom_nite View Post
    Dude most waiters are on shit money and rely on tips for extra money to get them through the week. I always tip no matter what, more especially if they did a good job. But quit hating man jeez, i'd like to see you do their job with assholes being dicks to you everyday. Where abouts in Aus do you live?
    Greedy owner does a shitty job then. A decent place should have decent pay. A waitress in a restaurant should definately make more money than a boy in a McDonalds selling burgers. Do you tip in McDonalds also?
    Let the reputation fail, let restaurant fail. Thats it. If you can afford to tip people, you can also afford more expensive food. Asking for tip is like begging, you go to the place of beggars, its degrading.

Here, there is no tip. And we have very strict regulations, even cameras so, clean food it is.
    Last edited by boobaa; 09-11-09 at 04:00 AM.
    Don't expect anything.

Quote Originally Posted by girl68 View Post
    Why would it be hard? Listen to yourself. That's how. I should note that assholes like you don't get clean food from time to time. I might not have spit, dropped it on the floor picked it up and served it but I've certainly seen it.

And taking and order and bringing it is hardly the extend of my work.

I never once claimed to be hotter than a late night sleezy hooker.
    Seems people are unable to do math.

They're saying 4 dollars an hour plus 10-20% of your sales.

Is less than $8.50 an hour in a retail job.

So you'd need to sell only $40 an hour worth of stuff for that to happen. That restaurant would go broke anyway.

I don't think people realise exactly how much money these people are making I can tell you that it is rather a lot.

Like my friend make $33 an hour..

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    Greedy owner does a shitty job then. A decent place should have decent pay. A waitress in a restaurant should definately make more money than a boy in a McDonalds selling burgers. Do you tip in McDonalds also?
    Let the reputation fail, let restaurant fail. Thats it. If you can afford to tip people, you can also afford more expensive food. Asking for tip is like begging, you go to the place of beggars, its degrading.

Here, there is no tip. And we have very strict regulations, even cameras so, clean food it is.
    No tipping in asian countries either. Seems to depend on culture.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Americans, take ur stupid custom of tipping and **** off home with it.
    Actually, George, I believe that the custom of tipping for service began in London coffee houses back in the 17th-18th century. Coffee house owners hung tip-boxes with "To Insure Promptness" on them around their establishments as a way to give their waiters and waitresses extra incentive to do a good job.

So you see, you can't blame this on Americans-- global warming, death of the rain forests, drought in Africa-- sure, all our fault-- probably our fault about the Elders of Zion, too (obvious CIA operation, that); but tipping is one of those really lousy ideas that the English inflicted on a luckless world, just as they stuck the rest of us with Australia, and Canada.
    Last edited by chump4u; 09-11-09 at 06:50 AM. Reason: wrong dates
    When in trouble,
    Or in doubt,
    Run in circles,
    Scream and shout.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    So you'd need to sell only $40 an hour worth of stuff for that to happen. That restaurant would go broke anyway.

That's the thing. They don't necessarily sell that much an hour. Some nights it's so busy they run from table to table, collecting wads of cash as they go. Other nights they sit in an empty booth sipping flat cokes, watching the clock tick by and earning a whole 4 bucks every hour.

Your friend is either exceptionally lucky or, more likely, you're full of shit. I've worked at places with restaurants--though never actually in one--and I've dated waitresses. I know roughly what they make. Some nights I envy them. Most I don't.
    Last edited by Gribble; 09-11-09 at 07:22 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by chump4u View Post
    Actually, George, I believe that the custom of tipping for service began in London coffee houses back in the 17th-18th century. Coffee house owners hung tip-boxes with "To Insure Promptness" on them around their establishments as a way to give their waiters and waitresses extra incentive to do a good job.

So you see, you can't blame this on Americans-- global warming, death of the rain forests, drought in Africa-- sure, all our fault-- probably our fault about the Elders of Zion, too (obvious CIA operation, that); but tipping is one of those really lousy ideas that the English inflicted on a luckless world, just as they stuck the rest of us with Australia, and Canada.
    Yeah, but the Americans ran with it and made it prominent and Americans are the ones that can't do math (like gribble) who listen to sob stories from a waitress about how little money they make and believe the lies (people like gribble). Basically, it is your fault.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, but the Americans ran with it and made it prominent and Americans are the ones that can't do math (like gribble) who listen to sob stories from a waitress about how little money they make and believe the lies (people like gribble). Basically, it is your fault.
    It's not our fault Britain didn't care enough retain their colony.

Blame the blokes across the pond.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast