+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is there such thing? Belief.

Is there such thing? Belief.

Do you guys think there is such a thing as believing in something too much? Where do you draw the line? When does Belief become maladaptive and counter productive? I am not necessarily talking about religious belief.

There is something in my own life that has been with me for a very long time. It requires more and more "belief" everyday not because its intangible but because... As things increase in mass they require more energy to effect change...

I wish I didn't have to be so vague. Bear with me.

What do you guys think?
    -Tough eyes, kind heart-

The line should be drawn if one is obsessed with a belief.

Are you talking about Santa? Do you still leave cookies and milk?
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Spring Haze View Post
    The line should be drawn if one is obsessed with a belief.
    So someone obsessed with saving the rain Forrest because they BELIEVE whole heartedly it must be done is a bad thing?
    -Tough eyes, kind heart-

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Are you talking about Santa? Do you still leave cookies and milk?
    I used to leave brandy, mince pies and a carrot...then one night i came downstairs to find my dad had ate the mince pies and drunk the brandy...i later found out my horse was given the carrot.

Kinda ruined xmas for me...like the time i found my mum was the tooth fairy, when i caught her trying to find my tooth from under the pillow.

So i dont believe in either.

^^a bit random i know.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I think you can believe in something and commit yourself to it to the point where nobody else can stand your zealot ass, yes.
    Spammer Spanker

Graham, I'm interested in your question and would like to apologize for the others who seem to just post on some threads to make fun.

Is there any more that you could tell us about it?

There are different ways that it could be taken as...obsessive, a strong belief or someone just feeling really passionate about something. If you are doing something you believe in and feel that it is right then I believe it's right. It's all about what it makes you feel like. Is it making you feel trapped like you can't think about anything else? If so then maybe that's getting close to obsessive. If it's something you are passionate about and enjoy than I think it's ok....but again, I would love to hear more about it.

- firewired

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by firewired View Post
    Graham, I'm interested in your question and would like to apologize for the others who seem to just post on some threads to make fun.
    But do they really want you to apologize for them?

Presumptious ass. Post for yourself and let others do the same.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Berkeley View Post
    So someone obsessed with saving the rain Forrest because they BELIEVE whole heartedly it must be done is a bad thing?
    Yes. However, our definitions of "obsessed" might differ. Believing something must be done for the greater good is different than an obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    But do they really want you to apologize for them?

Presumptious ass. Post for yourself and let others do the same.
    Yes...I was posting for myself. I figured they wouldn't apologize considering their sarcastic tone.

I think it's rude to be sarcastic to someone who's asking an honest question. At least I posted something constructive in my post...which is more than I can say for those earlier or for yourself.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    An apology is an acceptance of responsibility, admitting a mistake and a repositioning of oneself as a reasonable, responsible person. You cannot do this for another adult and expect to be treated as anything other than the presumptuous ass you truly seem to be. If you have a problem with someone's post, you should address them and your issue about it directly, instead of using it as a thinly-veiled attempt to seem better and more mature than other posters. If Graham had an issue, he would do this, so your intervention on his behalf is not required.

As for posting something constructive, in my opinion the only intelligent response so far was Giga's. I rarely feel the need to expand upon her laconic wisdom.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I'll give an example:

"I'm sorry Ms. Jackson...OOOOOH - I am for real - Never meant to make your daughter cry - I apologize a trillion times"

There you have it.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL, Rider (for Vash too--re: your son)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKF1qAV9heQ&feature=related[/video]
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Belief without backing is meaningless. Completely and utterly meaningless. It isn't even worth discussing and should be met with contemptuous dismissal. So if your beliefs are without cause you need to either gather supporting data or drop them.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well... no. I believe some things I know I can't prove. Or more accurate, perhaps, is I like to believe them. But, if data were to arise that made my beliefs unlikely, I would give them up.

Of course, some things are subjective and not able to be proven. The beauty of a work of art or music. Otherwise, things should be subject to what seems reasonable.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh