+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to be supportive while my girlfriend's parents are separating?

How to be supportive while my girlfriend's parents are separating?

My girlfriend of 6 months parents are on the rocks right now. They haven't officially separated yet but her mom isn't being faithful to her dad. She is taken it very hard. She can't believe what's happening, and thinks her mom is ruining their family. She is also stressed out from work and school. I'm trying to be supportive as much as I can. I'm listening to her when she wants to vent or talk. I'm just trying to take things slow and relax right now while she's going through this but I'm having trouble with it. It's putting a strain on the relationship. She has apologized for being in a bad mood so much lately, and I totally understand why, but I don't know what else I can do. Even though we have only been dating 6 months, I've never felt like this about a girl before. I feel I'm falling in love with her and don't want to do anything to lose her. Is there anything else I can do to help her out, or a way to make things easier on her during this time in her life?

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    basically all you can do is be there for her. listen to her crying and all her bullshit. be her shoulder to lean on and when all this shit has passed, she's remember this and reward you with something really good.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I suggest you avoid taking sides or giving direct advice about her relationships with these people. When her pain is done with, she will remember anything negative you said, and you will forever have to live it down.

If she is having a really hard time, you should suggest she get some individual counseling. You aren't a counselor, and there is really only so much you can do.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

yup, illusional'n'vash are right. Listen to her, be there for her. don't get too involved.

Do not misunderstand her need to vent as a request for your help- that is, don't try to solve all her problems, just listen to her, make her feel heard. You can offer advice and suggestions but don't act like you have her situation all sussed out or like you know exactly how she should do things.
    There's not much else you can do except be patient, maybe try and make her laugh or cheer her up a bit if you can.

she may not want to hear it now but her mom is still her mom, and that's never going to change.