+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Relationship with a Recently Divorced Man

ela is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag

Relationship with a Recently Divorced Man

Ok so I have been seeing this guy for about 6 weeks now, like, once or twice a week. He has just told me that he got divorced from his wife 6 months ago. They had known each other for 10 years, married for 5, but she wanted a career abroad and he wanted to have children so there you go. He is 31 and very successful and very goodlooking. If I saw him outside I would say he was out of my league

Anyway, so I wonder what his expectations from me are. He is not into one night stands. It started as a relationship based on sex but now he says I can call him whenever I want to have dinner or go to a movie. He buys food that I like and puts it in the fridge and took me to have breakfast twice. And he wants to plan a vacation with me. He said we were like girlfriend-boyfriend now and that he would be angry if I see other men.

I know that he probably misses the intimacy he had with his wife but I got out of a long term relationship too and I find it hard to trust new people (although I was the one who ended it )

Do you think he wants a serious relationship ?

What do you think a man wants who says he wants to be exclusive and would be mad if you dated other men?

Nothing is guaranteed but he's at least giving you a go at a relationship. You teach people how to treat you so instead of accepting his "You can call me when you want to do something" tell him you expect he call you and set something up as well, that you won't be seeing other men and that you're willing to see where this goes as a couple.

Maybe YOU'RE not ready for such a commitment if you can't even tell when someone has asked you to be exclusive with him? You might want to tell him that you respect him wanting you to be exclusive and you are glad he's being that way with you as well. That way, you both are on the same page if you know he's exclusive with you too and not just expecting you to be.

Make sure you want this though... you sound awfully confused about your end dating goal(s).
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Sounds like he is ready to at least explore the possibility of a serious relationship. Keep in mind that his divorce is still fairly fresh, and if he's on the rebound then it may not last. Like Wakeup said, it sounds more like you're the one who's not ready for anything serious. I'd say go with the flow for now. Don't set your expectations too high, and just see where it goes.
    May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars

Obviously things are heading in some kind of direction...maybe ask him the clarify what he truly means.

Communication is key, might as well start now, and talk to him