+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Divorced and looking...

Divorced and looking...

Ladies, I'm wondering something here. I'm trying this online dating thing, but with absolutely no luck thus far. It's been over three months thus far, and the only people who have replied to my messages on any online dating website, or who have messaged me first, have very quickly come across as being very very desperate, which I am not interested in. I have been assured by my female friends that my profile is good, and my pics are good as well.

Is it that I'm divorced (which appears on my profile) that I am immediately written off by any decent, normal woman? I'm wondering what, if anything, I can do to actively fight any stereotypes that women may have of me as a divorced man. What are these stereotypes? I really don't know. That's what I'd like to know. That I'm a jerk? Emotionally needy? That it was probably all my fault my marriage ended? (None of which is true.) I'd just like to know what I'm up against.

Also, I am way out of practice in the art of picking up. So here's what I'm also wondering: Would I come across as a creep if I struck up a simple conversation with a woman I found attractive I saw the supermarket, or the park, with the intent of asking her out if I found her interesting?

Anyway, I'm much obliged for any insights anyone can give.

Thanks!

take the divorce thingy off your profile and see if it changes anything...

do you have pictures? do you have kids? do you want kids?

i believe pics will get more traffic. kids can vary: some women want them, and some don't. wanting kids or not wanting them... you can get more traffic by being on the fence, unless you do want them, then you should indicate that.

Maybe you're just using a crappy dating site.
    Spammer Spanker

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    the only stereotype I can think of re: divorced men is that they have the potential to be hitting on my daughter and as such, may be a threat to her physical/emotional security.

And they may have a pschco ex wife and kids.

If you have kids, the list grows a LOT.

Also, idon't really have a problem with you hitting on women wherever you may be. Except for movie theaters, because I hate people talking during movies.
    Last edited by vashti; 27-10-09 at 03:48 AM.