+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My boyfriend selfish and anti-social. Advice please!

My boyfriend selfish and anti-social. Advice please!

So my boyfriend and I have been together for 4 years and 6 months now. He is my best friend and I don't know what I would do without him, but he is just so anti-social and selfish it is not even funny! I've always tried to accept it but it is just gotten to where it has to be addressed now. I've been out of high school now for 3 years and I work from home, so I don't really see or talk to anybody besides my boyfriend and my dad. My dad raised me and I had no mother growing up so he means the world to me just the same as my boyfriend does. The thing is I have been living with my boyfriend and his parents for about 2 years now and he NEVER wants anything to do with my family. He has met my dad twice in 4 years and that was because I made him. He complained the entire time when we were on the way there both times too. I'm obviously getting tired of living with his parents so we are getting ready to get a house. My boyfriend was totally cool with it at first and willing to put in the money for the investment, but now he is upset because my dad is giving us lots of free furniture and he doesn't want to have to go to my house to load the furniture with my dad. We got in a HUGE fight about it. I just don't get it!!!!! My dad is a wonderful man and would do anything in the world for me and my boyfriend is just so scared of him for no reason! He hates being around my dad and my dad wonders why as well as I do. I've tried talking to him about it and he just gets mad at me! It causes an argument every time! My boyfriend just always says he has nothing in common with him and doesn't want to speak to him. These are the two men in my life that mean the most to me and I don't know what to do anymore! :-( Please help. It's driving me crazy!!

^^^^^^^^^^^

The whole point of dating to to find the perfect match for you.

This doesn't sound like he's the right person....besides, you're only 22 or so.

^^^^ Seriously. I wouldnt stay with someone who wouldn't visit my parents with me. Further, you're putting far too much responsibility on your boyfriend by making him your only means of support and fun. Where are you friends, your hobbies, your independent means of making you happy in your own skin?

Your bf isnt taking your needs into consideration AT ALL. If you want to be happy in this relationship then you'll have to communicate to him just how much his being indifferent to what makes you happy is affecting your attraction to him and that the relationship will end if he can't meet you half way. You have to believe those words yourself before you say them to him though because if he values so little that he doesn't care if you're happy or not, and he makes no effort after knowing how upset his piss poor behaviour makes you, then you should leave someone that is indifferent to you. You can go back to live with your father until you get over the hurt and disappointment of finding out that you fell for a man who doesn't care about you.

Good luck. Find the words you need to convey to him the severity of the situation as it stands. Hopefully he'll make an effort if he knows how close to the end of your rope you are. Don't argue... state your peace of mind and then don't take any excuses. Just tell him he now knows how you feel and you hope he'll step up to the plate. Then end the conversation.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Don't buy a house with your immature psycho boyfriend. And stop hiding from the world behind a computer screen. Go out and meet some people and make some friends and live your life more fully before you get ready to settle down with somebody special.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

You're only young - why settle? Make a list - what are the things you really like about him? What are the qualities that set him apart? They must be pretty great to make up for his deficits. If not, what are you doing pursuing further commitment with this man/boy?

Get out into the world and open your eyes; he is not a good catch.

This would be a deal breaker for me. Family are important. Im surprised you stuck with him for 4 years! And you need friends and hobbies. He cant be your everything. It doesnt sound like a healthy union to me.