+ Follow This Topic

Thread: New girl who sought me says she's confused by ex who pulls and pushes her away

New girl who sought me says she's confused by ex who pulls and pushes her away

A woman I met about a month ago, and is also a single parent, saw me at some baseball games my son was playing and after finding out who I was, friended me on Facebook. She caught me online one time and we chatted, and she gave me her number without me asking for it. I also gave her mine, but didn't really think much of it and didn't contact her at all for about a week.
    She wrote a status a week later about how she did the previous semester in school and I congratulated her. She ended up asking if I could come down to her place (I found out she lives 3 doors down, lol) and help with English sometime, and I said sure. We started chatting and ended up killing about 3 hours in the process. She kept telling me things like "I only date older men" (I'm 40, she's 30) and "How in the world are you still single?!" and things like that, and I kind of took them in stride.
    We texted and talked a LOT the next 2 days, and on the 3rd day actually formally met in person. Afterward she texted that it "made her day" that we finally met and that she would love to see me again; she thinks I'm "very attractive" and can't believe I'm not married or have a girlfriend.
    Here's the screwed up part: after I take the bait and start to show interest in her, she starts to back off and tells me before we can date, hang out, etc. she thinks we should be really good friends, lol. She told me all about the previous relationships she has had with other guys, and how hurt she has been and is admittedly over-cautious, which I understand. She told me a LOT of bad things that had happened to her in the past, and I understand her protective wall, really.
    Ever since I took the bait and acted interested in return, things cooled more and more every day until I finally told her this morning, "Look, I know what I bring to the table and what I can do for you, so when you are comfortable enough you know where to find me." She apologized and told me she knows she is complicated, but there is an ex who keeps pulling her back in and pushing her away. I told her when she's tired of being tugged give me a holler.
    My question for the board is "WTF?" Thank you all so much for helping a new poster.

Its pretty clear, she isn't over her ex and wanted to string you along as a backup. You have decided not to be pulled in, so she fessed up about the ex.

Its good that you're able to pull away, this had trainwreck all over it. Don't waste another second with her until she is free and clear of the ex.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Sounds about right. Thanks Cerby!

Cerby beat me to it. No need to amplify, he covered it all.

I finally told her this morning, "Look, I know what I bring to the table and what I can do for you, so when you are comfortable enough you know where to find me." She apologized and told me she knows she is complicated, but there is an ex who keeps pulling her back in and pushing her away. I told her when she's tired of being tugged give me a holler.
    *claps* I just wanted to say that it was so refreshing to read a guy with confidence who doesn't need to be strung around by a freaking nut job. Good for you for being smart and telling her to get her crap together without you along for the ride.

She's got some issues and good for you for sussing them out and not playing her game. "Complicated." isn't the half of it.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Thanks Wakeup! Admittedly it took a few weeks of frustration before I nutted up. Have a good one!

Wish I would of realized my now ex hadn't gotten over ex. We dated 9 months and as soon as he was available again she left me.