+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A Most Interesting Situation...

A Most Interesting Situation...

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum but hopefully you can help me out here. The background is long, so thanks for sticking with me in advance...

My girlfriend and I have known each other for 6 1/2 years. We met in high school, went off the college and for about 2 1/2 years during college, we were not official and saw other people. Right now, both of us are about 2 weeks from graduating and for the past 6 months, we have been dating and the relationship had been stronger than ever before.

The important things to realize are these:
    -We have actually spent 5 years apart (I did one year of college while she was still a senior in high school)
    -I transferred to the U.S. Naval Academy and am about to graduate

So, I guess one of the things to realize is that throughout our time, even when we were not official, we have worked together as a team. Going to the Academy is different from any other school and we have been there to support each other everyday. She is one of the strongest girls I have ever met and will tolerate anything just to spend a few minutes with me.

However, this past semester, she was approached by a guy in her class that she had never met. Up until late March, everything was perfect and then in early April she told me she needed space. It was completely out of the blue and she kept saying "I don't know. I am so lost. I know I want to be with you. I love you more than you know" etc...

Anyway, I find out that this kid she has met has kinda "wooed" her and they have made out before. She has just gotten more confused and she says he has said some things that make her wonder about if I am the one, like if she is ready for dealing with the Navy once I graduate, etc.

Now that we are about to graduate, I want to know where to go from here. Obviously this is a very unique situation and it is even more unique with the military aspect involved, but I do know that our love for each other is still strong. We spent a weekend together very recently and our time together was better than ever...and she continues to call and confide in me. She even wants me to visit her this coming weekend. Any advice? I also was thinking maybe taking a trip with her after graduation to clear our minds...? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SillySassafrass View Post
    She has just gotten more confused and she says he has said some things that make her wonder about if I am the one, like if she is ready for dealing with the Navy once I graduate, etc.
    She's basically saying she is thinking about the concept of being in a relationship with someone physically unavailable for long periods of time. It is a valid issue and I don't think clearing heads will help you on this one. Looks like it will come down to a clear cut choice, lose her or your career in the millitary.

Which one will you pick?
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~