+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is love an emotional or a rational state of mind?

Is love an emotional or a rational state of mind?

I think that love is an emotional and a rational state of mind. Love is an emotional thing. In most cases a vacuity of emotions will result in the aridity of love.

But people do need rational love. Nothing can be lasting when reason does not rule. One of the main characters in "True Love", Ping, made a rational choice, preferred a little less loved, and paid more love for her husband. Love means responsibility, Ping thought.

The increasing probably poverty and crime tell us that the world is in indispensable need of true love. But what is true love?

True love is best seen as the promotion and action, not an emotion. An ancient Hebraic text says: love is as strong as death. True love is when you care enough about another person that you will lay down your life for him. When this happens, then love truly is as strong as death.
    If you were a tear-drop
    In my eye
    For fear of losing you
    I would never cry
    And if the golden sun
    Should cease to shine its light
    Just one smile from you
    Would make my whole world bright

Quote Originally Posted by mary6268 View Post
    True love is best seen as the promotion and action, not an emotion. An ancient Hebraic text says: love is as strong as death. True love is when you care enough about another person that you will lay down your life for him. When this happens, then love truly is as strong as death.
    Therefor it isn't rational, since the rational thing to do would be "save yourself".

I think that the rational thing shouldn't be imprisoned by desire."Save yourself" is constrained by "human fallibility" so it isn't really rational.
    If you were a tear-drop
    In my eye
    For fear of losing you
    I would never cry
    And if the golden sun
    Should cease to shine its light
    Just one smile from you
    Would make my whole world bright

Your response depends on each individual I guess.

Some people seem to look at love in a very rational manner.

You read comments about 'I should marry this person because they are socially and financially my worth' ...you can't find more rational than this...

To me true love goes beyond caring for what is reasonable at the time being. True love is an an emotional response to someone.

take in the news the example of this woman who got married to a man on death row in prison. She has made an irrational decision to marry a man others would look at worth less than most men. She cares for him, is there for him...

To me this is love at its purest (no agenda and nothing to be gained).

Marriage on the opposite is a rational contract. It is best for a woman (and a man) to pick a a partner who is a confident, balanced person who has a reasonable earning power. All this with raising a family in mind of course.
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

Just looking at this forum and seeing the thousands of people that fall for the wrong guy/girl, and get in very difficult situations because of that, is enough to say love isn't rational.
    We make a mental picture of who we want in our heads, but then we fall for a completely different person. Sometimes he/she happens to be right for us, sometimes not.
    Time to stop complaining when there is no reason to. Life's good, man.

Quote Originally Posted by sookie6 View Post
    Marriage on the opposite is a rational contract. It is best for a woman (and a man) to pick a a partner who is a confident, balanced person who has a reasonable earning power. All this with raising a family in mind of course.
    I don't consider being with someone "because of interests" to be love, does anyone?