+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Mixed signals on first date. He's 11 years my senior.

Mixed signals on first date. He's 11 years my senior.

He's 34 and I'm 23. We talked on the phone twice before we met for a few hours each time and really enjoyed talking to eachother. We were texting a lot of pics to each other and he kept telling me how beautiful I am. He was really impressed at how mature and intelligent I am for my age. We are both looking for a serious relationship. I even told him how I loved that he had a little girl and I ment it 100%.

We decided to go to the local drive in theature for our first meeting. It started really great. He told me I looked just like I did in my pics. At the movies he was laughing, chatting and telling jokes. I was a little shy only because he was way more attractive in person that I could have imagined but I was doing my share of chatting and laughing at his goofy jokes. He would touch my leg each time he talked to me and was looking me in the eyes and seemed really comfortable around me.

BUT Half way throught the second movie he decided to call it a night. We were together about 2.5 hours at this point. I know he may have just wanted to go home and see his little girl since he doesn't have full custody, which is fine but that's not what he told me. He said the movie was kinda dumb and he was tired. He drove about 30 miles on his motorcycle to see me so maybe he didn't want to drive back tired? Also, he checked his facebook once during the date but asked if it was ok first.

At the end he gave me a big hug and a kiss on the forhead. I thanked him for coming to see me. He asked me if I wanted him to text me when he was home to make sure he arrived safe and I said sure. He did text. I asked if I was has he expected and he texted "yes :-)". But we only exchanged 4 text and he mention nothing about if he enjoyed the date or if he wanted to see me again. Also he had said before we met that he was thinking about taking down his dating profile but he was online today.

What is this guy thinking? Could age be the issue? Also he is recently divorced, could this have something to do with it? Do you think he'll call? Also, should I contact him if he does not call me first? He seemed really suprised that I would be interested in him so maybe he's just nervous? Even though there is an age gap I really like him. He's an amazing person that I'd like to know better. Thanks for any advise!!
    Last edited by ballerina22; 11-10-11 at 09:48 AM.

what movie was it?
    i hope it wasnt avater, coz that movie was seriously pish.

you're too young for him and he can't be messing with you. find somebody your own age.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

You are young. Try guys around your age. This guy is not only too old for you but also divorced with a child which will bring a whole lot different dimensions to a relationship even if things go well between you two. Why choose something potentially too complicated when you are only just 23?

If you still want to see how it goes with this guy, keep it casual with him but meet other people at the same time.
    “Really, sex and laughter do go very well together, and I wondered - and I still do - which is more important.” - Hermione Gingold-

welcome to the real world. half the people your gonna meet after you go over the age of 27 are gonna be divorce. big deal. he prob didnt want to burn you out on a massive 8 hr date. if you liked spending time with him just text him saying thanks and youd like to do it again. if he was into you he will take the bait and run with it. i myself wouldnt touch anyones leg on a 1st date so just keep in your mind he might want to move fast, because hes been use to a certain way of relationships. not saying its bad just saying keep everything in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    welcome to the real world. half the people your gonna meet after you go over the age of 27 are gonna be divorce. big deal. he prob didnt want to burn you out on a massive 8 hr date. if you liked spending time with him just text him saying thanks and youd like to do it again. if he was into you he will take the bait and run with it. i myself wouldnt touch anyones leg on a 1st date so just keep in your mind he might want to move fast, because hes been use to a certain way of relationships. not saying its bad just saying keep everything in mind.
    You wouldnt touch anyones leg on a first date? lol, behave...

First off I'm going to tell you that you shouldn't be meeting men from online who you don't even know at a place like the drive-in. Make your meets somewhere public and safer. For all you know of him, he could have been a rapist or a mass murderer (public service announcement over).

Secondly. Can you explain to me how you go to a drive-in on a motorcycle?

Thirdly:
    Even though there is an age gap I really like him. He's an amazing person that I'd like to know better. Thanks for any advise!!
    After two telephone calls and a 2.5 hour date on a motorcyle at the drive-in you think he's "amazing." Honey, you better really get to know a guy before you think he's "amazing" or the online dude's are gonna eat you alive (and I'm not talking in the good way either). You don't even know him period never mind enough to know he's amazing.

Also, should I contact him if he does not call me first?
    No.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 11-10-11 at 10:47 PM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion